Chapter 3

Assault

If glances were daggers, we would have been showered with countless ones by now, from eyes that resembled those of a hawk. Swift and piercing.

Such a meeting of two individuals on such a momentous occasion was unforeseen. The Lady did not accept the King's offer; instead, she bowed and demonstrated respect.

And even though we were no longer present, the spectators who witnessed the event still remembered it.

In the meantime, we resided in an unoccupied residence. It was personally owned by the King, and now the two prominent figures in the town and kingdom were seated across from each other at a table.

Selected soldiers were stationed outside for security. Inside, there were the Lady, the King, his aide or right-hand man, and myself, bowing and listening to the conversation of the two individuals who were the talk of the town.

"I thought you wouldn't accept my invitation, Varrella," the King initiated.

He was seated comfortably, his gaze fixed intently on the lady I served. If earlier the Lady had shown respect to the highest leader in front of her, now she merely raised an eyebrow and sipped from the silver cup before her.

"I didn't know you were such a fan of drama, Your Majesty." The Lady chuckled softly at the King's remark.

The lady placed her cup on the table and looked at the king. Compared to earlier, when she could hardly meet the King's gaze, now she seemed at ease engaging in conversation with the leader of all.

"I just wanted to see your reaction."

"And surely the news will be rife with speculation because of that," the lady commented.

The king shook his head, but a smirk lingered on his lips.

"It seems your arrival here is already the subject of discussion. Even before I arrived, I quickly heard your name. Aren't you bothered or resentful?"

The lady shook her head and smirked in response to the king's words.

"In this era, people's tongues are swift and sharp. They won't waste time and effort seeking the truth as long as they want to believe in falsehoods," the lady retorted. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, for the words I uttered, but I have no interest in people with narrow minds."

The king simply smiled.

"Indeed, your words still carry their weight, former council leader," the King stood up, seemingly ready to depart. "I hope your stay here is pleasant. I have other matters to attend to. If you need anything, just inform the staff here."

The lady also rose to her feet. "Thank you for the suggestion, but we can manage on our own," the lady said, bowing her head.

The king nodded in approval. He glanced at me, and I also bowed as a sign of respect. The king then returned his gaze to the lady and bid farewell, accompanied by his right-hand man.

I've lost count of how many times I've been awestruck by the sights every night in the capital of Dayura. It's so different from the town of Satrosa.

Because I don't hear any unsettling sounds of oppression. Instead, I witness performances by musicians and magicians

I drew a deep breath, observing from afar. Suddenly, I was caught off guard and fell to my knees in agony.

"Where are your thoughts drifting, Yonahara? Compose yourself!" Lady Varrella admonished me sternly.

I hadn't foreseen that we would end up in this situation, but I was mistaken. I suspect the lady had orchestrated this all along.

"Yes, Lady, I will comply."