Chapter 7

Once again, Promise

The haunting melody caressed my ears, awakening my senses. Light. A light that didn't strain my eyes when I looked upon it. I rose and scanned my surroundings.

The melody continued. It felt as though my heart resonated with what I saw and heard. It felt weightless, as if I were being carried while floating in the clouds.

Trees so pure, painted in their natural green hues. There was also a solitary tree not far away.

Such a beautiful tree. So tall. Its leaves gently falling to the ground whenever the wind made its presence known, dancing in the breeze. And beneath the tree, there was a person with an instrument. The gentle and delightful melody that was pleasing to the ears emanated from the strings they plucked.

They had their back turned to me. Their hair reached their waist, gently brushing against the roots of the tree they sat upon. It seemed as though they paid no mind to it and continued playing the instrument.

I took slow steps towards that person. But just as I had taken two steps, they stopped playing, and I too momentarily froze.

They lowered the instrument, and I didn't expect them to speak in a familiar voice.

"Open your eyes. It's not your time yet," they said.

And when they turned around, I saw their familiar face. They bestowed upon me a gentle smile.

"Come back, Yonahara..." they said, calling out my name. It was only then that I realized who this familiar person was.

It was...

I embraced the Lady, and she did the same. It took a while before she released me. Her countenance was so serene, showing no signs of any suffering she had endured while alive.

I didn't know what was happening. I had no idea if I was in another world or if I no longer existed. But what mattered was that I saw the Lady.

She wiped away the tears that had streamed down my face. I couldn't believe it.

"Lady..." I said, tears welling up once again.

She smiled and gently held my cheeks. "Wake up, Yonahara. You still have something to do. It's not your time yet."

"But, Lady..." I shook my head. "I'm tired..."

"Didn't you promise?"

I looked at her and nodded, lowering my gaze.

"But I don't know where to start. Am I even worthy of living?"

The Lady's expression turned solemn. She caressed my face.

"You are no longer a slave. You freed yourself. You also have a great role to fulfill, so it is only fitting."

"But, the world remains the same. Even if I live, everything will just repeat itself." I said with bitterness and sadness.

The Lady let out a deep sigh. She stroked my face.

"If you give up now, are you not the same as before? Doesn't the training I gave you to become stronger have any meaning?"

I couldn't utter a word. I looked down.

"Were you the companion of my queen?" I immediately looked up and blinked in surprise upon hearing another voice. "I thought she was courageous, but it seems I see her faltering."

I turned to where the voice came from. Automatically, I bowed my head upon seeing the King.

"M-My Lord..." I said, trembling.

He approached the Lady. Slowly, my gaze lifted. I witnessed their tenderness towards each other.

"She's just hesitating, my love... and I know her well," the Lady said softly, caressing his cheek before looking at me. "She's not breaking her promise," she said, smiling and bringing her face closer to the King's.

I averted my gaze. I couldn't bear to witness such a scene between the two.

"It's alright to be weak, but always remember that you can't be helpless forever."

I heard the Lady say. The King nodded, embracing her from behind, seemingly agreeing with what the Lady said.

"If ever... I want to express my gratitude." I bowed before them. A sign of praise and respect. "I am deeply grateful for the second life. Your sacrifice. And for granting freedom to someone like me..."

I felt the Lady's gentle touch on my head.

"In that case, open your eyes, Yonahara. Wake up. Live," I heard the King say. "We would appreciate your gratitude even more if you continue to fulfill your promise."

I found myself gazing at the King and the Lady, puzzled by the immense faith they had in me. A whirlwind of joy, elation, and bewilderment engulfed me.

With emotions on the brink of explosion, I brought my hands together and held them against my heart, as if in prayer. A lone tear trickled down my cheek, overwhelmed by their trust in me.

In my humble existence, their high regard for me felt strange, especially when they were the ones who seemed more admirable, more worthy.

The Lady approached me, gently taking my trembling hands in hers. She offered a comforting smile and spoke.

"Arise, Yonahara. Open your eyes. Let there be no more sorrow, for we are here to guide you."

Unable to hold back my tears, I murmured, "Lady... Beloved Queen..."

"You have a significant role to play, Yonahara. You can still effect change," she said before gently nudging me. I thought I would tumble, but something else transpired.

I gasped as it happened, as if trying to catch my own breath. I paused momentarily. It was a dream. Tears streamed down my face, and a faint but light smile graced my lips.

It filled me with joy. I was content knowing that even in a dream, the Lady was happy. Her face was serene, and she was with her beloved.

In that state, the door swung open. The stranger's face registered surprise upon seeing me.

They gasped and approached me. "She's awake..." I heard them whisper before they hastily exited the room.

Despite my confusion, my resolve prevailed. I looked up at the ceiling, adorned with grand designs and architecture.

I closed my eyes and earnestly spoke in my mind.

"May you guide me, Lady... Beloved King. I promise to change everything. I will rectify what needs to be rectified. I promise."