Chapter 10

Decision

We had made our way back to the lodging house. I quietly slipped into my room, relieved that they refrained from probing with questions.

I took a moment to reflect.

The King? He seems indifferent to my existence and my emotions. He might be even colder than the snow I had seen earlier.

And I don't expect any empathy from him either. I'm satisfied with him reluctantly complying with my request.

"Miss, look at this, it's snowing!" Dera cheerfully exclaimed, peering out the crystal window. "Winter has arrived!"

I gave it a fleeting glance, but only pressed my face further into the pillow. The memories flooded back.

It's heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm helpless, unable to devise a way to aid them. And who am I to begin with? A former slave torn between returning to my past life or accepting the cold, unsympathetic King's proposal.

Dera noticed my lack of response and came over to me.

"Did something happen during your excursion, miss?" she asked, concern evident in her voice. "I've noticed that you've been rather melancholic since you returned."

I drew a deep breath. I sat up from my lying position. I turned to face Dera.

"Tell me, Dera," I started. "When you first saw me. Weren't you curious about my past and my identity?"

Dera blinked at my question. She didn't respond right away.

"Why do you ask, miss?"

I hugged my knees. I closed my eyes, overwhelmed by the indescribable emotions. I couldn't pinpoint the exact feeling, but apart from sadness and anger, there was something else.

"You shouldn't refer to me like that," I said softly. "I don't deserve your servitude."

I heard Dera sigh after a few moments of silence following my confession.

"Because... you were once a slave?" I heard her ask. "Because you were among those who served the royals and high-status individuals back then, is that why?"

I tightened my grip on my hands. I didn't expect to feel Dera's hand holding mine and gently guiding it towards her.

Despite being two years older than her, the way she looked at me made her seem more mature.

"When we first saw you and when the King brought you here, I decided that we servants would serve you," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "Even though we were aware of your past status, even though you were from a lower class, we chose to serve you."

I couldn't hold back my tears.

"W-Why? Why do you show me this respect and value?" I stuttered, perhaps due to the overwhelming change I was experiencing. "Is it because I'm a Queen? But I'm not... I'm not worthy of that."

Dera gave a faint smile and shook her head.

"It's not because you're set to marry the King, it's not," she closed her eyes and let tears fall as well. "Do you recall when we found you in that condition? The Highness himself carried you. You were covered in wounds, marks of whips or other forms of violence, and you were frail."

I was speechless after hearing Dera's words. I didn't know how to react.

She continued, "Beyond the Majesty's proclamation that you are his chosen one, we have also willingly decided to serve you," she lifted her gaze. Her eyes were clearly filled with tears. "Not because of your newfound status, but because we saw your will to survive."