Chapter 21

Talk

Bewildered. Perplexed. Astonished. These feelings instantly consumed me when the usually aloof King did something utterly unexpected. My eyes widened as I felt his lips exploring mine, as if driven by an insatiable thirst.

Caught in the startling reality of our situation, my thoughts were a whirlwind. It was only when the King deepened his kiss that I regained my senses, pushing him away with all the strength I could muster.

I was equally taken aback by his appearance. His face and neck were flushed a deep red. His eyes were deep, and there was an unusual sensuality in his gaze.

Despite the lingering tingling sensation on my lips from his actions, I summoned the courage to confront the usually cold King.

"What's going on with you, Your Majesty? Why are you behaving this way?"

But the King seemed oblivious to my words. I was unsettled. He was never like this. Our relationship was far from cordial. We both found each other's presence irritating. We've had numerous disagreements, so... I never anticipated him to...

I took a deep breath. The King I was facing now was not the cold monarch I knew. He seemed different, as if he was searching for something. Thirsty in a peculiar way. Something was amiss.

That thirst found my lips, which were parted in shock, as he once again bridged the gap between our bodies. It was a weakening yet firm sensation. Ticklish, yet it hurt.

Among all those who had attempted to claim me, even just my lips, he was the first. I felt weak, not from any intoxicating sensation it brought, but from the ache in my heart.

He seized my lips again after he eliminated the distance between us. I pounded on his solid chest in vehement refusal. But the King's actions grew more assertive.

With one broad hand, he held my neck, and the other gripped my waist. My vision blurred with tears as I felt his proximity. Fear overwhelmed me even more.

Unable to resist his strength, I bit his lower lip, causing the cold King to halt his frenzy. I tasted blood from my action. I felt weak and sank to a sitting position. My knees trembled, and tears streamed down my face.

The King seemed to regain his senses. His lips hung open, and he gazed at me, visibly stunned. His eyes flickered around in bewilderment, and he ran a hand through his hair. He stumbled backward, briefly losing his balance, but quickly steadied himself.

"W-What have I done...?" He questioned himself, appearing disoriented, and looked at me. He was still in disbelief.

I stifled my sobs by covering my mouth. We were amidst the ongoing festivities. The hall was still filled with people.

Shortly after, two individuals arrived - Yura and Harrion. Everyone anxiously glanced at their King before their attention shifted to me. Yura was quick to come to my side. She cast a worried look at me before turning to the still perplexed King.

"Your Majesty..." Yura addressed the King cautiously. "What happened?"

The King blinked, his hand still on his head. "I... I'm not sure... I—"

"Your Majesty!"

"My King!"

The two voices overlapped as the King finally collapsed into a seat. Harrion immediately rushed to the King's side.

"Are you drunk, Sire?" Harrion inquired. "What happened between you and the Queen?"

The King was unable to respond, he simply stared at me in confusion. I held onto my chest. It was constricting.

"Your Highness..." Yura voiced with concern.

However, due to the unfolding events, my chest tightened further until my vision started to fade.

"My Queen!" That was the last thing I heard before everything turned black.

***

"Do you think Her Highness is alright?"

"The Queen will regain consciousness. She was merely taken aback by... what His Majesty did."

"It's not the King's fault. Something was added to his drink."

"Still. The Queen was profoundly startled. And, we understand why she reacted in such a manner."

These were the voices I heard as I slowly regained consciousness. They continued their discussion, so even when I opened my eyes, they didn't immediately notice.

The first thing that met my eyes was the sunlight streaming in from outside. I realized that I was in the King's quarters. My gaze then fell on the two individuals engaged in conversation - Yura and Seron.

I cleared my throat, and that's when they turned their attention to me.

"Your Majesty!"

"Your Highness!"

They both exclaimed almost in unison, bowing in both greeting and deference. I could see their visible relief.

"Did I faint?"

A brief silence ensued before Yura responded to my query.

"Yes, Your Majesty. Likely due to the overwhelming shock."

I lowered my gaze and pressed my lips together as the events replayed in my mind. The King. The kiss. His bewildering behaviour.

"Y-Your Majesty... I understand you were profoundly shocked by the King's actions, but he didn't intend to..."

"Yura." Seron cut her off.

"The Majesty deserves to know—"

"Allow the King to provide the explanation." Seron interjected.

Yura's brow furrowed. "Do you believe he will? We're aware of their strained relationship."

"We shouldn't meddle in their affairs, Yura."

Their conversation was interrupted by an announcement from outside.

"The King has arrived."

At the same time, the door to our chamber swung open, and there stood the King. He was gazing at me intently, his right-hand man, Harrion, by his side.

The two promptly stood up and paid their respects to the King. However, the King's gaze remained fixed on me. His jaw was set, his expression serious, but behind that stern gaze, I detected another emotion.

"We need to talk," he stated in a deep and serious tone.