Chapter 19

Before anything else

"Did you say something to Valleri?" That was his question to me.

I subtly shifted my gaze, even though my back was turned to the King. I was aware of the potential fallout between us if I disclosed the cause of his teacher's melancholy.

"No, we were merely conversing," I falsely claimed.

I'm sorry.

My thoughts offered an apology to his teacher. And to him, because I wanted to avoid any further disputes between us.

Unexpectedly, he remained silent and didn't comment on my response.

I knew a day would come when there would be an unpleasant repercussion, but for now... my heart and mind were too weary for our constant disagreements.

I felt a sense of relief when I heard the room door close. The King had left. He truly seemed indifferent. But I suppose that's for the best.

I was also thankful to be alone once more. I was uncertain of the outcome if we were to share the same room. Perhaps our interactions wouldn't be limited to just arguments.

Over the past few days, I've devoted my time to learning how to read and write. I'm not quite proficient yet, but with the assistance of the library's caretaker, I can confidently say that I can now read and comprehend some words that were previously unfamiliar to me.

"I'm extremely delighted, miss," Dera expressed with a smile.

We were in our room within the King's quarters. She was helping me dress and for some unexplained reason, my servant and friend seemed cheerful.

"And what's the cause of your joy, Dera?"

I heard her soft chuckle before she responded.

"Haven't you heard the whispers within and beyond the palace walls miss?" I pondered her words and shook my head.

I must have been so absorbed in my studies that I was oblivious to what Dera was referring to.

"What's the current event?"

She then took both my hands, which slightly startled me.

"There's a celebration scheduled for later. From what I've gathered, other nobles from all over Koroteya will be in attendance."

Her words piqued my interest. "A celebration? For what purpose?"

Dera looked at me, puzzled. "Aren't you aware that it's the King's birthday today?"

I was taken aback. I had no knowledge of this. Given our present relationship, I didn't anticipate him sharing details of his personal life with me. I simply adjusted my seating position in front of the mirror.

Furthermore, with so many nobles in attendance, what if I were to make an error? Would I have to endure the King's scorn once more? I wish I could excuse myself from attending, but as the Queen, I bear responsibilities that I cannot evade.

I never anticipated that things would escalate to this point. Of all the scenes I could witness, it had to involve the aloof King.

A lavish celebration was underway within the palace. How much time had elapsed since I was reluctantly ushered here? I couldn't identify the nobles who kept arriving and extending their greetings to the King.

I opted to maintain a distance from them. I assumed the King could manage, but when I saw him glance my way and start to approach, I abandoned my plan to depart.

"Could you afford my Queen and me some privacy?"

I was taken aback by his tone. It was serious, deep, yet gentle. The King's request was promptly granted. After all, many of them were indeed quite attractive.

When we were left alone, he sighed. I detected an unusual scent. The smell of alcohol. And when I looked at him, his face and neck were slightly flushed.

"Are you alright?" I queried.

The King didn't reply. Instead, he turned towards me. Surprisingly, his gaze was gentle, a stark contrast to his usual demeaning stare.

I recoiled as he began to approach. His gaze was solely focused on me. What was happening to him? Even though he barely glanced my way, he seemed to detest it.

I gasped when he abruptly grasped my waist. This brought our bodies close together, and I could feel his robustness.

But...

"What's going on with you, Your Majesty? You're not typically like this," I attempted to wriggle free, but he held on.

"I can't hold it in..." he uttered in a raspy voice as if he was not in his right mind.

My lips parted slightly as I finally comprehended some of the words they used, thanks to my diligence in the library. But because of that, I found it hard to believe what the King had just said.

I tensed up and stared at the King's face, which was now cradling my cheek. He kept repeating that he couldn't hold it in while his eyes remained fixed on me.

"Whatever it is, release me."

I continued to try to extricate myself from him. But the cold King had other plans. I was virtually immobilized and unable to think.

Because the aloof King, in an uncharacteristic move, kissed me.