Chapter 15

From the Blade

"Today marks a significant day for the people of the Empire. And now, King Adem Cathan declares you, Yonahara Ygrid, as the Queen of the Koroteya Empire."

These were the words he pronounced before presenting me with the scroll. I had been briefed about their ceremonial tradition, and now I had to accept what the King had offered. It symbolized my full acceptance of my role as Queen and consort to their King.

Subsequently, I bowed to acknowledge the King before me and rose to face the people. At this moment, I am flooded with emotions that I cannot put into words. Since my youth, I had dreamt of a fresh start. Not as a slave, but adorned in lavish attire, commanding respect from all. But that dream remained just that as the years rolled by.

Amid the countless adversities I faced, I chose to abandon that childhood dream. My sole focus then was to escape the hardships that life had dealt me. And now... having buried that dream, I never anticipated realizing it under these circumstances.

I never envisioned myself as the consort to a leader as cold as ice, revered by everyone in the Empire. My attire has transformed. The image that was once seen as that of a pauper is now a blend of red and gold.

I barely recognize my reflection in the mirror. I appear entirely different from before. I struggle to articulate my feelings. There are no words to describe this emotional whirlwind. And now, I stand before the King who offers me a new life. I can't help but feel anxious. Not because of him, but due to the expectations of others. What if they discover my past as a slave? Would they hesitate to execute me or relegate me to servitude?

Various scenarios race through my mind. They only ceased when I heard the enthusiastic cheers of the crowd and the cries of,

"Long live the Queen!"

"Long live the King!"

"Long live Queen Yona!"

"Long live King Adem!"

"Long live the King and Queen of the Koroteya Empire!"

"Long live!"

I'm unsure if I truly deserve to feel and experience all of this. But all I know is that it warms my heart.

"All the people of Koroteya now recognize you as their Queen. Henceforth, I expect your involvement in my future plans for the Empire."

At his words, I turned to the cold King beside me. His gaze was fixed ahead. My attention was once again drawn to the front, where the people of Koroteya were lauding us both.

If that's the case, I need to fulfill this responsibility to initiate my plans.

"If that's the case, then I agree," I turned to the King. "But you must allow me to act as I see fit regarding what we discussed in Ladare."

I noticed a slight lift of his eyebrow before he resumed his usual expression. He seemed intrigued by my statement.

"You're still holding onto that issue," he remarked.

"Because I have no intention of letting it go," I retorted. "Didn't you say it yourself? If you're going to use me for your own purposes, why would I let this opportunity slip by?" I asserted confidently.

He studied me for a few moments before shifting his full attention to the front, where the citizens of the Empire were assembled.

He didn't comment or continue the conversation even after the coronation ceremony concluded. I'm unsure of his thoughts. All I desire is for us to be on equal footing. That way, any plans or steps we wish to implement will be easier.

Night fell. The moon gradually emerged from behind the dense clouds. I was restless. Who wouldn't be? Here I was, in the chilly chamber of the King. I wished I could sleep in Dera's room, but it wasn't feasible. The Queen's attendants were present, and that included me. Their role was to guide the King and Queen on their first night.

And now was the time to uphold the tradition of their Empire. I was powerless to prevent it. I had no authority to defy an age-old tradition. I couldn't comprehend why witnesses were necessary for such matters. Isn't it a private affair? Shouldn't it be confined to the two individuals involved?

"The King has arrived!"

I looked up at the announcement from outside. I clutched my dress tightly. It was thin and pure white. They had also let down my slightly curly hair. I quickly grabbed one of my trembling hands.

My vision began to blur, I felt dizzy, and my chest tightened. Memories flooded my mind. In such a situation, fear was inevitable. I had escaped forceful advances several times. I had been targeted to violate my dignity, but I had resisted.

And if it's in this kind of situation that someone can take away what I cherish. Whether it's the King or not. I won't permit it. I closed my eyes tightly and from my clenched grip, I released one hand to search for something under my pillow.

I was oblivious to what was happening. All I wanted was to protect myself. When I heard the door open, I gripped the object I was holding tightly. I opened my eyes. Through my blurred vision, which I hadn't realized were tears, instead of the frosty King, I saw a figure from my painful past.

In extreme fear and trembling, I instinctively aimed my dagger at that figure. Along with it, I heard a muffled sound, as if someone was stifling pain. And when I opened my eyes, I was horrified by what had transpired and what I had done.

"I-I didn't mean to...!"

I covered my mouth in shock and realization.

The figure I assumed was from my painful past turned out to be someone else. The King... he had intercepted the blade of my dagger with his left hand. As a result, his palm was cut, and fresh blood trickled onto my dagger.

"Y-Your Majesty..."