Chapter 8

The King

If I were to draw a comparison, it would be to the predicament I find myself in now. Ever since I woke up, I've been at a loss, particularly with the influx of people entering the room. I'm clueless about my location or whose dwelling this is.

Suddenly, I found myself being cared for by three attendants. They bathed me in a large wooden tub filled with fragrant rose-scented water.

They also immersed me in a tub of milk, and now I stand before a large mirror—almost able to see my entire figure—assisted by the female attendants who help me dress.

As I gaze at my reflection in the mirror again, I can barely recognize myself. I am now seated, having my long, wavy hair brushed.

I can't articulate the emotions I'm experiencing, but I'm certain that my confusion is escalating during these moments. They dress me in a red gown, embellished with small gold embroidered floral designs.

They also place an adornment on my head. I am taken aback when I see the ornament they have positioned on my head.

A fusion of jade, gold, and silver. It is complemented by precious gems that only those of high rank can possess.

I am stunned and perplexed by the unfolding events. I attempt to converse with the attendants, but they remain silent.

I am left alone in my room. I glance from my head to my feet. The person I see—in my reflection in the mirror—is a stark contrast to my former self. In my appearance, I resemble someone of high rank or a member of the nobility.

I inhale deeply, trying to reconcile with things that my mind has yet to accept. I just moved to a luxurious bed. I want to sit down and contemplate my current situation.

Suddenly, I remember something. I immediately start searching for it. In the cabinets here, and in other hiding places, but it's nowhere to be found.

"No... it can't be lost," I murmur anxiously, continuing my search throughout the room.

The door opens, and a female servant finds me in this state. The only difference is that she appears to hold a higher position.

"What are you doing, Miss?" she inquires as she enters the room.

"Miss?" That title is foreign to me. Throughout my life, I have been referred to as a slave.

"Why do you call me Miss?" I ask, puzzled by the term.

The servant appears confused by my question and is unable to respond. But there is something else I need to locate.

I approach her. "Have you seen a dagger?"

"A dagger, Miss?"

I nod at the servant.

"It is of great importance to me. Have you seen it?" I ask anxiously.

But the servant shakes her head.

"I apologize, Miss. His Excellency entrusted you to us, but we haven't seen any dagger."

My ears prick up at what I hear and what she said.

I look up at the servant. "H-His Excellency?"

"Yes, Miss. He has been waiting for you."

I can only stare at the servant. Who is this His Excellency? I haven't seen or met anyone else—

"I have found the worthy one. She will be my Queen."

Those words suddenly echo in my mind. If that's the case, it wasn't just a figment of my imagination? Did I really encounter a noble before I lost consciousness?