Chapter 9

The Blood Snowfall

In the realm of my life, all the nobles I have encountered—except for the Queen Varrella and King Kaan—have been arrogant, judgmental, and witness to almost every stage of my life filled with violence.

They all look down on people like me who come from a lower class. Throughout my life as a slave, fear and anxiety have been my constant companions. I have witnessed and experienced their cruelty, whether physical or emotional.

That was my perspective before I met the master I served. I used to believe that all nobles were inherently evil, but when I met Lady Varrella, I couldn't deny that she was different.

She always reminds me not to succumb to my weaknesses.

"Then, I am King Adem. There's nothing you can do but to choose, and you will by hook or by crook," he said in words I couldn't understand.

A moment of silence ensued between us. I wanted to belittle myself. Perhaps if Lady Varrella could see my current situation with the King, she would be disciplining me while standing.

I am still in his embrace. And just like Lady Varrella and King Kaan, this King is different. If before, fear and anxiety were what I felt, it is now replaced by irritation. So, I made the decision to speak.

"I don't understand what you're saying," I said.

It was surprising that I, who came from a lower class, had the courage to speak to the King in such a manner. Compared to the late King of Asyreum, who almost made me kneel in his presence and aura.

The King, whom I have only just met, seemed unable to believe that my fear and anxiety had disappeared.

"What?"

He seemed incredulous at what I said. His previously expressionless face was now replaced with an inexplicable reaction. Pity? Surprise? Or perhaps embarrassment because of what he said that I couldn't understand.

"Are you f*cking serious?" he said, but I could sense something unpleasant.

I remained silent because I didn't understand anything. In my mind, the nobles were indeed a different class because of the knowledge they possessed. However, it was also disheartening because with that knowledge, their morals were degraded, leading them to do wrong.

The King let out a sigh of frustration. He shook his head before turning to me again. And as much as I wanted to escape his grasp, I couldn't because of his strength. He only returned me to his embrace.

Perhaps that is also the reason why he shouldn't be given any recognition.

A King? Royalty? I wanted to shake my head and laugh.

"What! Why don't you let go of me and let me retrieve my dagger? What do you want?" I couldn't help but shout at him.

I struggled, but my small body was no match for his towering figure.

From his embrace, the King laid me back on the bed and held both of my hands on my head.

"I know you already know the answer to your question. Whether you like it or not, you will become the Queen," he insisted.

"Queen? Me? And most importantly, I don't know you, I don't know anything about you, and why I am here. So don't force it because I don't want to!"

"If that's the case, then you will let yourself remain ignorant?"

"What?"

I was taken aback. He moved his face closer to mine.

"Will you let yourself remain ignorant? That was evident in the words earlier that you didn't understand."