Chapter 20

Birthday and a Kiss

"The King and Queen of Koroteya have made their entrance!"

Harrion's booming announcement echoed throughout the hall. The melodious strains of violin music filled my ears as the grand doors to the hall, where the King's birthday festivities were in full swing, swung open.

I was met with a sea of unfamiliar and scrutinising eyes as I joined their ranks, standing beside the aloof King. I was acutely aware of the significant role I was expected to play in the hours to come.

"Good evening, Your Majesty and Your Highness," they greeted me almost in unison.

Thankfully, my studies of their language, albeit basic, allowed me to understand them.

I responded with a smile, while the King merely offered a nod.

As minutes ticked by, the noble guests began to gravitate towards the centre with their partners, their movements underscored by the slow, romantic strains of violin and piano music.

Meanwhile, the aloof King and I occupied a grand seat, observing the unfolding scene before us.

"Shall we?" I heard Seron propose, extending his hand to Yura.

Yura responded with a restrained smile and accepted Seron's invitation. She cast a glance in our direction before joining the dancers.

Even Harrion managed to find a partner and offered a curt nod to the King before immersing himself in the crowd.

Truth be told, I yearned to join them. However, it would be inappropriate for their newly crowned Queen to choose a different partner. Nor did I harbour any expectations from the King, who was seated a few feet away from me.

His face bore a clear expression of distaste for the ongoing events. I had heard that he wasn't fond of such festivities.

Perhaps it would be best to remain a spectator, but I was taken aback when a hand was extended before me. I quickly looked up, only to find the King staring at me.

His gaze was unwavering. Even though I could only see half of his face, it was evident that he was forcing himself, as indicated by his furrowed brow and stern expression. He was likely compelling himself to rise and partake in an activity he didn't enjoy.

"Will you accept or not?" he asked, his tone tinged with annoyance and impatience. He didn't even bother to look at me.

I glanced between his outstretched hand and his serious expression. Shaking my head, I accepted his reluctant offer.

As I rose and began to join the crowd, the people automatically made way until they encircled us. Instead of joining them, it seemed they were preparing to watch us, as if we were about to perform under the light cast by the grand chandeliers, accompanied by the romantic music.

I began to feel a wave of nervousness about our current position. Nobles of various ranks were now our audience. I was at a loss for what to do.

I'm not a dancer. Especially not at such grand celebrations. The King seemed to notice. I even heard his long, heavy sigh.

I didn't anticipate him pulling my waist towards him. Or placing my hand on one of his shoulders while our other hands were clasped together.

I lifted my gaze to meet his. And when our eyes locked, he squinted at me. Each glance was filled with mockery.

"Follow my lead if you don't want to become a laughing stock later," he said. "Always remember that my name is now yours. And now, I think you already understand what I am talking about, right?"

I wanted to clench my fists, but we were in this situation with the King.

"I know," I retorted, matching his gaze. "You don't need to repeat it, Your Majesty."

The celebration for the King's birthday continued. We were met with various reactions when the King and I took to the dance floor. From his initial steps, it was relatively easy for me to follow the rhythm of the dance.

When it ended, I chose to distance myself from them. While on the terrace, observing all the attendees, the King was engaged in conversation with two nobles. His expression, however, remained unchanged.

Soon, the King was sipping from the cup he held, continuing to mingle with the guests. Some noblewomen even paid their respects to him.

I inhaled deeply. I had assumed the King could manage the situation, but his gaze towards me made me reconsider my decision to leave.

"Could we have a moment alone, my Queen and I?"

His tone caught me off guard. It was serious, deep, yet gentle. His request was promptly granted, and he made his way towards me. His cup was no longer in his hand, likely left with the wine server earlier.

When we were left alone, he let out a sigh. A strong smell of alcohol filled the air. Upon looking at him, I noticed his face and neck were slightly flushed.

"Are you alright?" I queried.

The King offered no response. Instead, he turned to face me. His eyes, usually filled with a belittling gaze, were surprisingly soft.

I instinctively stepped back as he began to approach, finding myself leaning against the terrace railing. His gaze was unwavering, fixed on me. What was happening to him? He usually couldn't stand to even glance at me.

I gasped when he abruptly pulled me towards him by my waist. Our bodies pressed together, and I could feel his solid physique.

"What's going on with you, Your Majesty? You're not usually like this," I attempted to break free, but his grip remained firm.

"I can't hold it in..." he muttered in a hoarse voice, seemingly out of sorts.

I closed my eyes, overwhelmed by the strong scent of alcohol on his breath.

"M-Majesty..."

But then, I was taken aback by the King's actions.

I froze, my gaze fixed on the King's face, which was now cradling my cheek. He kept repeating that he couldn't hold it in, his eyes locked on mine.

"Whatever this is, let me go."

I continued to try to extricate myself from his grasp. But the usually cold King had other plans. I was barely able to move or think.

Because, out of character, the cold King kissed me.