Chapter 26

Cure

Following our discussion, I lent them a hand. I covertly aided in the quest for a healer. Yura accompanied me on our errands, while Harrion and Seron were also in pursuit of a remedy that could assist the King.

Each time Harrion made an entrance, we were filled with unease upon hearing the King's distressed sounds. We also heard the clinking of the chains that bound the King, chains he had fashioned himself. He had chosen to confine himself, fearing he might do something wrong and unable to control the drug that had been slipped into his drink and was now coursing through his system.

Another night rolled by. I paid a visit to our clandestine rendezvous in the Palace. I halted in my tracks when I heard the King's groans. Seron and Yura were equally perturbed. We heard the chains and his profound sighs. Eventually, they dwindled and vanished entirely.

The room's door swung open, revealing Harrion carrying food and a cup. We proceeded directly to the office. He set his load on the table.

"How is the King faring?" Seron inquired promptly as we settled into the office.

Harrion responded with a shake of his head.

"Unchanged. This beverage soothes him, but it's only a temporary fix. We still need to find a comprehensive remedy."

We both exhaled deeply and pondered other possibilities. But we had exhausted all options.

"Harrion. We need a remedy for His Majesty. What if... we try to—" Harrion interrupted Seron mid-sentence.

"That's out of the question, Seron. Even the King can't relieve himself. He strictly prohibits it."

"But that's the only solution I can think of for His Majesty. He was drugged. A drug used to amplify the..."

"Seron." Harrion interjected firmly.

All eyes turned to me. I was clueless about the method Seron had in mind. Hence, I couldn't understand why Harrion was so opposed to it.

"What method is that? What if it aids the King—?"

"No." Harrion interjected.

"What if it's the only way? Harrion, time is of the essence. Each time we search, we're merely squandering our time." Seron contended.

"Do you genuinely believe that the King allowed himself to..."

"The officials must remain oblivious to this. And most importantly, what if the King's condition worsens as time and days elapse?"

Harrion clenched his eyes shut and gripped his head. They were adamant about the debate.

"Seron is correct. There's no other alternative but that." I didn't anticipate Yura's agreement.

"Yura."

Following our conversation, Harrion gazed at Yura in disbelief. He drew a deep breath.

"We only have two days left before the representatives from the other Kingdoms arrive. What if they discover the truth?"

Their eyes met in a silent standoff. Neither willing to back down. Outnumbered, Harrion had no choice but to recline in his seat, left speechless.

"I never imagined I would find such a situation in the palace."

As the afternoon set in, a woman appeared before us. Her attire was peculiar, suggesting she had travelled a great distance.

We all froze at the sight of the woman standing outside the King's room. We were astounded that the person we had been desperately seeking in this predicament was here.

"Can't he do it himself?" she repeated, then turned to face us.

"Lady Valleri!" We exhaled in relief upon uttering her name.

The Lady approached us.

"When did the King's condition begin?" she inquired.

Harrion responded, "It started with his birthday celebration, Lady."

"What? So it's been over a week?"

She closed her eyes tightly and shook her head, glancing at the door of the King's room before turning back to us.

"Has he had any interaction since the incident with his drink?" she asked next.

I was taken aback when Lady Valleri posed that question. Especially since the interaction didn't just occur on the King's birthday, but also within his room.

"Is there a problem, Lady Valleri?" Yura queried.

"It's more complicated if he had any interaction during that time. His body will undoubtedly crave it to alleviate the heat he's experiencing." She elucidated.

"Did any of you have any? Especially the women?"

"Do you mean physical intimacy when you say interaction?" Yura sought confirmation.

Lady Valleri nodded. Then, all three of them turned their gaze to me. They were aware of what transpired at the celebration. Consequently, Lady Valleri's gaze also landed on me.

Lady Valleri sighed deeply.

We heard her repeated 'tsk' along with her shaking her head. Then she looked at the King's room and at us. Until her gaze rested on me.

She offered a faint smile before speaking.

"It seems there's no other way but to do it... You need to brace yourself adequately, dear Queen."

I was immediately filled with apprehension at Lady Valleri's words.

"W-What kind of method and treatment does the King require? Why do I need to prepare?"

Lady Valleri's gaze lingered on me for a moment. But instead of answering my question, she instructed Yura to prepare my bath.

"This is a secret and no one should know," she stated, as if outlining the protocol to them.

So even though it was Yura's job to do that, she promptly complied with Lady Valleri. She also directed Harrion and Seron to prepare the King.

"When did you find out about this? Didn't you..."

"No one knows I'm here. And most importantly, if the King's condition persists like this. Everything could become more complicated."

Harrion merely acknowledged her words with a nod, and then they both proceeded into the King's chamber. This left only Senyora Valleri and myself behind.

I felt a lump in my throat as I met her stern gaze, which was strikingly similar to the late Lady's. She gestured towards the office.

"You need to be acquainted with the fundamental knowledge," she stated.

"Knowledge?"

"Exactly. Knowledge on how to enrich the King."