Chapter 17

Bad news

"Lady Varrella...?" I uttered, staring at the elderly woman engaged in conversation with the King.

They bore a striking resemblance, just like the late Lady Varrella. Could she be a relative of my late-master? A sister? A cousin?

Everyone turned to look at me, particularly the woman who bore a striking resemblance to my former Lady. She glanced at the King before shifting her attention back to me.

I averted my gaze as she approached. She, too, had a commanding presence, and like the late Lady Varrella, there was an air of mystery about her.

Aside from being the Queen of the late Lady Varrella, what else could be the reason behind her enigmatic persona?

"Did you mention a name?" she initiated as we stood face to face. I merely shook my head. Perhaps it was just a coincidence that they looked alike.

I looked up. Unlike the emotionless gaze of the late Lady, the woman before me had a lightness and a spectrum of emotions in her eyes.

"I am pleased to meet the newly crowned Queen of my pupil, the King."

Pupil King? So she was a mentor to this aloof King?

"I am equally pleased to meet you," I responded softly, just loud enough for her to hear.

The woman seemed slightly taken aback by my response. She then offered me a light smile and turned to the King.

"She is more courteous than you, King Adem," I heard her remark to the King, but he merely shrugged it off and focused on the woman before me.

"Are you challenging your pupil, Valleri?" he raised an eyebrow at the elderly woman.

My counterpart smiled at her pupil King.

"Aren't you just validating my point, King Adem?" she retorted, and I detected a hint of teasing in the elderly woman's final words.

"I don't need your lecture, Valleri."

"And I haven't tutored a student colder than the current snowfall."

I observed the two of them. Were they genuinely teacher and student? I found their banter hard to believe.

The elderly woman turned to me again and invited me to join her inside her home. I could hear the grumbling of the aloof King and the gentle laughter of our other companions behind us.

Once inside, I was amazed that a simple exterior could conceal such grandeur. Expensive furniture adorned every corner. The living room boasted a large chandelier made of gold, silver, and crystal. The floor was polished marble.

She led us to the living room to sit. Our three companions chose to distance themselves, allowing us a private conversation. Yura went outside to keep watch. Seron guarded the exit while Harrion stood by, ready to receive any orders from his King.

The aloof King settled into a sofa chair, while I sat to his left, facing the King's mentor, Valleri, who was now preparing tea for us.

"Here's your tea," she said gently, accompanied by a smile.

I thanked her as she placed the tea on the round table. She also poured tea for the King and herself. I carefully held the cup, inhaled the aroma, and took a sip. She did the same, as did the King.

Afterwards, we almost simultaneously finished our tea and looked at each other. The King's mentor initiated the conversation.

"I know that you didn't come here just for tea, King Adem," she said, looking directly at him.