Chapter 28

The Duel of Two Lions

My apprehension was sky-high. I was unsure of the consequences of my impending actions. The only sound was the door closing behind me, which amplified my unease amidst the silence.

I surveyed the room. Compared to my initial visit, the interior was more open and refined. The aroma was captivating, likely emanating from the lit candles. Delicate golden curtains adorned each window.

Identical curtains encircled the King's grand bed, a detail that didn't escape my notice. It appeared that not only the surroundings of the royal chamber were prepared.

The soft noise of water drew my attention. I cautiously and slowly approached it, but halted when I heard the King's deep breaths.

I inhaled deeply, swallowed, and repeatedly recollected the lessons I had learned earlier. However, I realised this was a first-time experience. The King would witness everything. I held my breath, turned around, and once again closed my eyes.

If I proceed with this, it's as if I'm surrendering myself. Hadn't I injured him with my dagger previously because I didn't want this? Yet here I am, akin to a lamb being offered to a mysterious Lion. I have no clue whether I will be ravaged by his fangs or if he will be gentle.

I took a trembling step back, but it was halted.

"Are you retreating? Are you just going to stand there?" I heard from the bath.

Even though I couldn't see the King, it didn't diminish the intensity of the moment. I clung to the fabric of my long dress. I glanced at the bath concealed in the wall, where the esteemed King was.

If it weren't for the individual and Empire at risk, I wouldn't hesitate to refuse this method. And even despite my nervousness, if what Miss Valleri and I had discussed was feasible, I wouldn't be here now.

I recalled the words Miss Valleri and I had exchanged before she finally released me here. One of the reasons I consented.

"I know it's not easy because the state of your relationship with the King hasn't reached this stage. But this is the only way," she stated.

"The King will undoubtedly loathe me. His pride is high," I murmured softly while the Miss was arranging my hair.

"But it could also serve as a pathway to enhance your relationship. Not as a spouse, but as a companion."

I couldn't help but laugh at her words. Impossible. Perhaps we need to stab each other or he needs to belittle me repeatedly before that happens.

Miss Valleri looked at me directly.

"Nevertheless, there's nothing to lose in trying. I know King Adem. He may be as cold as ice, perceived as a wolf or a lion, but for the Empire and the people... he would do anything."

I stared at her following her words.

"And if everything becomes okay. I expect your presence at my home. I want us to talk," she said and then smiled faintly. She departed and walked out of the room.

"Don't worry. I won't retreat, Your Majesty."

I took a deep breath before finally mustering my courage. My feet began to move towards the King of Koroteya. Until my sense of smell was obstructed by the mixed scent of candles, roses, oil, and water in the bath where the King was also.

I positioned myself in front of the large wooden tub. There were golden curtains and some crystal ornaments hanging, encircling the bath. From the closed thin golden curtain, I could see the King in the wooden tub filled with water, the scent of roses wafting in the air.