Chapter 22

Once again

I found myself alone in the chamber. I had declined the King's request for a conversation. I was indifferent to his potential anger, but at this moment, I couldn't bear to confront him. Merely seeing his face might induce fear, causing me to tremble, and I might end up doing more than just threatening him with a dagger.

I shut my eyes and covered my face. Tears began to well up again. I was unable to control my emotions. It felt as though I had involuntarily reverted to a past that had almost become a part of me.

I should be living up to my promise, my decision, my ambition. But here I am, still weak. I wanted to chastise myself for being this way.

Didn't you vow to be strong, Yonahara? What are you demonstrating now?

It's as if I'm validating the King's words that I'm a fool and weak.

"Don't you have a plan still, Yonahara?" I found myself muttering.

I merely closed my eyes. I touched my lips. Despite the fear instilled, my mind was curious, as if a fleeting tickle had briefly stimulated my senses.

A tickle that weakens but...

I shook my head to dismiss the thought.

Several days passed, and we hadn't spoken. We didn't cross paths, so it was undeniable that some people in the palace were curious about what transpired between us.

They likely heard that we had a disagreement. Sometimes, I even overheard palace followers gossiping that the King didn't sleep in our chamber.

They speculated that the King didn't favour me or that he had someone else he was fond of. They were unaware that our situation was far more complex. Even Dera was questioning me about what really happened. Why we hadn't had any interaction with the King for several days.

I remained silent. I had no answers to give. I wasn't ready yet.

In recent days, I saw less of the King. Even the other three were seldom seen. And when night fell, I unintentionally overheard Harrion in the corridor speaking to someone. I followed him when I noticed he wasn't with the King and seemed to be coming from a corridor I had never seen before. He appeared deep in thought.

"Ensure any drink or food entering the palace is thoroughly checked. Is that clear?"

Harrion was serious while addressing an official and a leading soldier. From the corner, I strained to hear their conversation.

"The incident that occurred on the King's birthday must not be repeated."

The two nodded in agreement.

"And ensure you find the culprit from the King's birthday night as soon as possible. They cannot escape the Empire. Do you understand?"

"Understood," they responded, then departed to execute Harrion's orders.

As Harrion's two companions approached, I quickly concealed myself. Once they had passed, I cautiously observed Harrion, who had now ventured down a different corridor.

I intended to return to my room, but I had lost my bearings and couldn't recall the correct route. My search led me to a dimly lit corridor, illuminated by a few wall lamps. It seemed to descend into the palace, just wide enough for two people to traverse.

Eventually, the corridor narrowed. It was adorned with a few paintings. Hearing footsteps, I quickly concealed myself in a shadowy corner, out of the lamp's glow. I spotted Seron and Yura. They emerged from a room, which I remembered was prepared for Harrion by the King after an incident involving me and a dagger. I surmised it was the King's room.

From my hiding spot, I watched them with curiosity. Their expressions were grave, their demeanor anxious. They left in a hurry. Once they were out of sight, I approached the room's entrance.

There were no guards, only lamps flanking the door provided illumination.

Could this really be the King's room? Why did it feel so ominous?

I was about to turn the door handle when I remembered my original purpose. I released the handle and clenched my fist, anxiety washing over me at the thought of encountering the King. I wasn't prepared for that confrontation, yet here I was.

I took a deep breath, turned around, and began to retreat. However, a crash and a thud from inside the room made me spin back around.

I hesitated at the door, unsure of my next move. Should I enter or leave?

I attempted to knock but heard no response. After a few minutes, another thud echoed, followed by a loud voice. It sounded like a struggle.

"Argh!"

"Your Majesty! Are you alright? Please respond, Your Majesty!"

Another crash sounded from within, but it wasn't his voice. I wasted no more time and pushed the door open.

The sight inside the King's room left me speechless. It was in disarray, with broken pieces and various items strewn across the gleaming marble floor and part of the carpet.

I gasped at the sight of the King. He was seated on the carpeted floor, leaning against the large bed, looking exhausted, sweaty, and in pain. His jaw was clenched, and his breathing was labored.

"Your Majesty—"

"Leave." His command surprised me. He didn't look at me, instead, he shut his eyes even tighter.

"W-What... is happening?"

His loud response startled me. "Get out! If you don't want to be afraid again. Leave!"

My heart pounded in my chest, a mix of fear, surprise, and his commanding voice. I knew I should leave. His current state was intimidating, as if he could lash out at any moment. Yet, something compelled me to stay.

I remained rooted to the spot, my gaze fixed on him. I was frightened but also concerned. I was accustomed to his condescending demeanor. He was aloof and would do anything for his Empire, even marrying someone like me from a slave clan. But seeing him struggle like this was new.

I attempted to move closer but was met with a hostile glare. However, my resolve remained unshaken. I disregarded his glare and slowly approached.

"I'll give you a chance to leave while I can still control myself. Just leave me alone."

He spoke through clenched teeth, his fists tightly balled.

"I won't leave," I declared resolutely.

I gulped, taken aback by my own words. Indeed, I was frightened. However, I couldn't stand to abandon him in such a condition, despite my lack of understanding.

I had barely covered a few steps towards him when his intense gaze stopped me. He inhaled deeply, his fists clenched tightly, and his jaw set firm.

That was the final sight before I found myself sprawled on his expansive bed. Both my hands were held above my head by him as he towered over me.

My eyes widened in surprise as I locked eyes with the King. His eyes mirrored that fateful night - stern, profound, and intense. Yet, amidst his restraint, I discerned something else.

Struggle, reluctance, and concern. These were unfamiliar emotions that I was witnessing in the King for the first time.

"I warned you. You should have simply left me alone. Now, you'll regret it," he voiced sternly and with restraint before I once again experienced the King's kiss.