Chapter 16

Resemblance

"Y-Your Majesty...!"

I was in disbelief at what I had done and what I was witnessing. I released my grip on the dagger, which he swiftly caught, despite the wound on his palm. He quickly stashed my dagger in a nearby cupboard before grabbing a piece of cloth to bandage his injury.

I clutched my chest, still in shock. The intense surprise lingered. Meanwhile, the King maintained his composure.

After he finished dressing his wound and the bleeding ceased, he approached me with a stern expression, holding my chin.

I grasped his tightly gripping hand.

"Did you plan to murder me?" he inquired, his voice laced with anger. It was a soft utterance, audible only to the two of us.

I immediately shook my head. No matter how much I loathed him, I couldn't resort to such an action. What would I gain from killing him? Surely, my own life would be the price.

I was utterly clueless... I had no idea what had transpired.

"No..." I shook my head. "I didn't mean to... I... I'm sorry—I thought..."

I couldn't hold back my tears any longer. Let him label me weak or criticize me. I just needed to vent my fear.

He released me. I couldn't discern his reaction clearly through my tear-filled eyes. But then, he covered my mouth.

"Your Majesty, is there an issue?"

That voice came from outside the room. I had forgotten. They were supposed to witness tonight.

"It's nothing," the King responded. "And may we be left alone with my Queen? We don't require any witnesses for this matter."

"But, Your Majesty, tradition must be upheld—"

"Tradition?" He interrupted the follower. "Are you suggesting that you don't trust your King?"

I heard murmurs from outside, even faint whispers.

"Y-Your Majesty! That's not what I meant! W-We only want to ensure propriety—"

"We can manage this ourselves, my Queen and I. She doesn't want anyone else to be privy to this except the two of us."

I blinked and ceased crying upon hearing his words. It felt as though my ears were deceiving me.

What is he implying?!

"But, King Adem..." the person outside persisted. "You are unfamiliar with the—"

"Leave!"

Everyone was taken aback by his raised voice. I was equally startled.

"I-If that's the case, we will depart. We hope for a swift resolution—"

"Heradia! Just leave!"

"As you command, Your Majesty!"

The King sighed after releasing my lips. I'm certain everyone outside had departed by now.

I lowered my gaze, unable to meet his. I had no reason to deny my actions. I never anticipated... to recall what I had been striving so hard to forget.

"I-I'm sorry... I genuinely didn't mean to," I whispered softly.

I watched as he rose and moved towards the large window, offering a view of the outside world. The moon had already ascended, casting a glow on the King's back and his injured left hand.

"How many times?"

I looked up at the King's words. How many times what?

Soon, the King turned to face me. His gaze met mine with a serious expression. There was an emotion in his eyes that I couldn't identify, even though his face remained impassive.

"How many times have there been attempts?" he asked again.

At that moment, I understood his question. I couldn't respond. I didn't want to revisit those memories. Who knows what might happen next, and it might not just be a wound he would sustain.

"If you're concerned that I will do that, don't worry. I won't force you," I shook my head and apologized again. Perhaps by now, he had formed a different opinion of me. Weak, ignorant, and perpetually fearful.

I also wanted to reassure myself. I thought that once I had left that place and decided to ally with the King for my own plans, I thought I wouldn't be haunted by the ghosts of my past.

Unexpectedly, even in this situation, that illusion was swiftly shattered.

"The night is deep. Rest. I will stay in another room," he said.

"But what about you? I can sleep in another room. After all, it's my fault—" I began, but he interrupted me.

"And what will you do if they discover that we didn't adhere to tradition? You're not familiar with the palace yet. You won't be able to explain yourself if they catch you wandering around at night," he said.

I fell silent at his words.

I sighed deeply. Everyone had a point. This wasn't like Asyreum or Ladare where I could go to Dera. This was a different place that would be my home. The traditions were different too. And most importantly, I was just a pawn.

If they found out that the Queen was not in the King's chamber, there would be questions. It could become the talk of the town and the King's amusement.

I thanked him and apologized again. But despite that, the King remained cold. I didn't know if he truly felt sorry for me or if he just wanted to insult me.

"I'm only doing this to protect my reputation and avoid trouble," he said in a serious tone. "What if they find out that the newly crowned Queen wounded their King with her dagger? Wouldn't that be a significant issue, especially since you could be accused of attempted murder for what you did?"

I bowed my head. Because it was true. In these situations, I was ignorant. I was powerless.

"I know my reasons can't justify what happened. But... thank you and sorry again."

I didn't hear any response from him. Instead, he simply took his cloak and left without a word.

I stared at the closed door. I lay down on the soft bed and took a deep breath.

***

The next day, everyone seemed cheerful. The table was laden with food. At first, I didn't understand why they were so jubilant. Until Dera informed me that it was all for me and the King. They believed we had followed the tradition.

I was already seated at the table when the announcement came that King Adem had arrived. He entered the grand dining hall in formal attire, with Yura, Seron, and Harrion by his side.

The King took his seat and the attendants immediately served him. After they had placed food on the King's plate, he began to eat.

I thought we wouldn't interact after what happened last night. I was surprised when he spoke.

"You need to get ready, we have a place to visit."

"A place to visit?" I queried after chewing a piece of meat.

But I received no reply. I glanced at the few followers beside us. Perhaps they assumed our relationship with their King was strained, which wasn't exactly a secret.

I closed my eyes as a gentle breeze caressed my face. Seron was behind me, while the other three rode their own horses. We were a considerable distance from the palace, heading towards an undisclosed destination. The aloof King hadn't specified where exactly, so I was clueless about our purpose there.

"We've arrived, Your Majesty," announced Seron. I surveyed the place where we had halted.

A house. It was constructed from robust Yakal and Narra trees. As we dismounted, an elderly woman emerged.

But I paused and gazed at the elderly woman who was now conversing with King Adem. I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating.

She bore a resemblance to, "Lady Varrella?"