Chapter 14

Inauguration

Upon our arrival in the dominion of the cold king, known as King Adem, we were met with an outpouring of respect. The locals greeted us with cries of 'long live' and acknowledged our presence with reverence.

I had anticipated a unique experience in this Empire, but the reality far exceeded my expectations. The Koroteya palace was grander, more expansive, and more robust than I could have imagined. Words fail to capture the awe-inspiring sight before me. As we made our entrance, more subjects bowed and acknowledged us.

Despite being in the palace, I realized I knew little about it, both inside and out. Dera trailed behind me, her gaze lowered. Harrion, meanwhile, stood behind the King.

We were approached by a man and a woman, both armed and dressed in training attire. They halted before us and bowed.

"Welcome back, King Adem, and welcome to the Empire, our Queen."

I responded with a simple nod. King Adem addressed the pair.

"Is everything in order?" he inquired, his brow furrowed.

The two shared a look, seemingly communicating silently before turning back to their King.

"The elders wish to be present, Your Majesty," the woman spoke first. I was once again lost. "Knowing you would return with the Queen, they anticipated the forthcoming ceremony. It's a Koroteyan tradition, after all."

Her words were a mystery to me, but I chose to listen, hoping to grasp the unfamiliar language.

"Seron, how are things progressing?"

Seron responded with a smile, "All is well, Your Majesty. We were merely awaiting your return."

King Adem acknowledged Seron's words with a nod. Even though I didn't fully comprehend, I tried to commit the conversation to memory. I hoped my confusion would go unnoticed, but the King seemed to enjoy highlighting my ignorance.

"Yura," King Adem addressed the striking woman, capturing her attention.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Inform her of all she needs to know. If possible, find someone who can educate her about the Empire."

Yura, the woman in question, blinked and turned to me. Her gaze swept over me, making me feel insignificant. It was as if she was reminding me of my limited knowledge.

"As you command, Your Majesty," she responded, bowing.

King Adem then turned his attention back to Seron, stating they had more to discuss and that he would leave first. Only the three of us remained - myself, Dera, and Yura.

I felt a surge of resentment towards the King for his actions.

I was well aware of my ignorance of this world's language and modern conveniences, but he didn't need to broadcast my lower-class origins to everyone.

I clenched my fist in self-reproach.

"Miss..." Dera's soothing voice reached me.

She took my trembling hand. I turned to Dera, silently expressing my gratitude. She had a calming effect on me.

I also heard Yura sigh.

"I must apologize for the King's behavior, Your Majesty."

I looked up at Yura, taken aback by her words. An apology from her? Even Dera would have been surprised.

"Why...? I'm confused," I managed to say.

She met my gaze, her expression resolute and unyielding. Despite her beautiful coffee-colored eyes, she was a woman of principle and strength.

"We were aware of your origins, your previous status, and the reasons for our King's choice before you even arrived," she clarified. "And for that, I apologize. I understand the significance of someone's..."

I grasped her meaning.

"Thank you..." I murmured softly.

"But remember, you mustn't always show weakness. In these times, you stand as an equal to our King and his Empire," she asserted.

If only it were that simple. The mere conversation or the demeaning manner in which I'm treated, I can't help but feel anger. How much more so, this assertion of being an equal to the King they acknowledge?

Our dialogue was abruptly ended. It led me to the chamber that would soon be ours with the King. Each glance I take in every corner of our future chamber leaves me feeling claustrophobic.

Next, we toured the other rooms. The majestic hall, the expansive dining area with a lengthy table, and the pristine, shallow pool outside. A pathway links our chamber to the joint toilets and baths.

This is said to be the preferred sanctuary of their King whenever he is troubled or weary from numerous tasks.

Next, we visited the library. I was astounded by its vastness. Moreover, it houses countless books. I'm eager to delve into them, but Yura instructed me to prepare for the impending coronation.

This is the event that all the citizens of the Koroteya Empire are eagerly awaiting. Even the officials and representatives within the palace are present and will bear witness to this coronation.

I'm anxious about the outcome of this coronation. Will I be accepted by everyone? Are they aware of the truth about my origins? Will I be embarrassed by my lack of knowledge once they discover that I come from humble beginnings?

My mind is a whirlwind of thoughts. It could turn out to be disastrous because their acknowledged King chose someone like me, weak and bearing scars from the past.

I felt Dera's comforting touch on my hand.

"Everything will be alright, miss," she reassured me. "You just need to muster courage and face everything."

"I understand..." I responded.

Somehow, her tranquility managed to soothe my agitated mind due to extreme nervousness. Until my name was called. Accompanied by that, the trumpet and drums resonated.

On either side of me were the two attendants supporting me due to the heaviness of my attire. As we began to step out towards the grand stage where the reigning King of the Koroteya Empire stood, my breath hitched amidst a flurry of emotions.

The music, the sound of various instruments, grew louder and more distinct in my ears as I finally halted in front of the formidable King.

My feelings became even more muddled. A blend of irritation, self-loathing, and admiration for the appearance of the King I've detested since our first encounter.

Because the formidable King, in his white attire embellished with gold designs, is undeniably impressive. Even his crown that signifies his identity.

And when his right-hand man, Harrion, handed him the scroll, he unfurled it and began to speak.

"Today is a momentous day for the people of the Empire. And now, I, King Adem Cathan, proclaim you, Yonahara Ygrid, as the Queen of the Koroteya Empire from this day forward."