Chapter 13

Moran Koroteya

Our voyage commenced with the descent of the snow. The Empire I had known as home was now hidden from sight, not a trace of it visible. As our carriage journeyed on, I cast my eyes outside. Each location we traversed was a blend of verdant leaves and the gradually piling snow.

Our destination was a mystery to me. As dusk approached, we found ourselves by a lengthy river, its edges lost to sight.

Harrion, from the front, approached us on horseback.

"Your Highness, our soldiers report we are nearing the village of Aradian," he informed us.

Aradian?

"Inform them we will be lodging in Aradian tonight," he instructed Harrion, who promptly obeyed.

"As you command, Your Highness." Harrion bowed and returned to the front.

A hush fell between us. I refrained from questioning him, fearing he might have more to say. I was aware he wouldn't squander his words on someone as uninformed as me. So, despite my curiosity, I opted for silence and patience.

Our carriage, along with the horses, halted at a residence in a village. Dera promptly joined me after alighting from another carriage. Harrion, however, maintained a distance, keeping a watchful eye on our surroundings. Meanwhile, I stood beside the aloof King.

The residence was neither grand nor modest, simply average. Constructed from robust wood, it was a two-story building that could comfortably house all of us. The environment was tranquil. There was no clutter, and a few lamps hung on the walls, casting a warm glow within the residence.

Upon our entry, an elderly man welcomed us. He sported a lengthy beard and a circular eyepatch over his right eye. Upon seeing us, he bowed and extended his greetings, particularly to the aloof King.

"I am overjoyed to see you again, King Adem," he greeted warmly. "It is a privilege to host you, Your Highness."

King Adem.

That was the first time I learned the name of the aloof King. The servants in Ladare only referred to him as 'Your Majesty' and 'Your Highness'.

He merely nodded at the elderly man. It appeared that the man was familiar with the King's demeanor. Their conversation indicated a prior acquaintance.

"Will you be lodging here tonight, as you have in the past?" the elderly man inquired.

"Can this residence accommodate all of us?" the King responded.

The elderly man's blue eyes sparkled as he surveyed the surroundings. Then he halted when his gaze landed on me then returned his gaze to the King standing beside me.

"May I inquire... who is she, Your Majesty?" he asked, curiosity piqued.

I assumed the aloof King wouldn't disclose anything about me, but I was mildly taken aback when he candidly informed the elderly man.

"She is my Queen," he replied, his tone steady and composed.

The elderly man was taken aback, his gaze darting between the two of us.

Regaining his composure, he moved towards a flat wooden shelf. Beneath it were what appeared to be cabinets. Although we couldn't discern from our position what he was retrieving, the elderly man wore a smile as he placed the keys for the vacant rooms on the shelf.

"Here are the keys for their room, Your Majesty," he addressed the King. Then he placed another key. "And this one is for the two of you."

Both our gazes fell on a single key. Perhaps the elderly man noticed our puzzled expressions, so he elaborated.

"This residence is not as grand as Ladare," the elderly man clarified. "And you two are wedded. It is only appropriate that you share a room, isn't it, Your Majesty?"

I was taken aback by the elderly man's statement. I wanted to voice my objection, but Dera grasped my hand. I turned to her, and she suggested it would be more suitable for us to stay together with the King.

I was about to protest, but the King collected the key and feigned attention towards the elderly man.

I discarded the heavy cloak, hanging it behind the door, before settling on the bed next to her.

"But it is only right for you to—"

"To coexist?" I arched an eyebrow. "That seems highly improbable."

I was directed to sleep on the floor as the bed was deemed insufficient for both of us. He asserted his royal status, making his word final, but I dismissed it and turned to Dera. After all, it was Lady Varrella who had declared my freedom. I was no longer a servant, no longer bound to obey every command from those above me.

Moreover, we were now on equal footing. The only difference was the King's insufferable arrogance.

"This could be an opportunity for you two to understand each other, even if your marriage was born out of necessity."

I sighed, shaking my head.

"That's not going to happen, Dera. It's impossible for me to collaborate with the King when his sole concern is his Empire."

Dera fell silent at my words. She seemed to want to say something, but chose to hold her peace. The night passed with little sleep for me. So, as dawn broke, I found myself yawning incessantly.

The dynamic between the King and me remained unchanged. Throughout the journey, we didn't exchange a single word or comment. Despite this, I couldn't help but be awestruck by the vastness of the world, far beyond the confines of my upbringing.

We traversed not just rivers and streams, but also towering trees and peculiar creatures that were new to my eyes. As one, two, and now three days passed, we found ourselves navigating the expansive mountains of Harilac. And after a while, the imposing walls loomed in the distance.

Harrion approached our carriage once more.

"We have arrived, Your Majesty," he announced before returning to the front.

I expected him to lapse into silence again, but he spoke.

"Ready yourself. I presume I don't need to remind you of this, correct?"

His words made me clench my fists, but I complied, not for his sake, but for my own.

Another moment passed. The sound of trumpets and chatter filled the air. And then, surprise, curiosity, and questions swirled around as we entered a cave, greeted not only by soldiers but also by people with joyous expressions.

And as our carriage finally emerged from the towering walls, the welcoming voices rang out clearly.

"Welcome back, King Adem!"

"Welcome, our Queen!"

"Welcome back, Your Majesty, to Moran Koroteya!"