Chapter 4

The Supreme Council

The Kingdom of Asyreum holds the highest rank among all the kingdoms in the Empire of Boris Horatia. It excels in wealth, trade, agriculture, and warfare. However, its reputation is marred, including the legalisation of slavery. I cannot deny that Asyreum has been the place where I was raised.

Although I haven't felt a strong sense of belonging or seen the entirety of the kingdom, the town of Satrosa—a town closely linked to the said kingdom, where individuals like me reside—became one of the reasons why I clung to life, despite knowing it was impossible to escape from my status as a slave.

I must confess that the hardships I endured due to my status were excessively harsh, from the very beginning of my life until I met the Lady.

It is undeniable that I also experienced frustration, sadness, doubt, and hatred towards those who inflicted memories that I will never forget.

Memories filled with torment, pain, and reaching the brink even when the desire was to live on. But this time, it is different from my experiences and observations. Or it could also be said... It has become more horrifying in my eyes.

Because the once noble kingdom now resembles the town I grew up in and once despised. The once-bright, clean, and joyful capital of Dayura has now become the large town of Satrosa.

Massive fires are consuming the towering structures that I once admired. The elders, maidens, and young men who used to radiate joy, anticipation, and freedom on their faces are now marked with intense fear, grief, and anger in their eyes.

As for the children, who used to play happily, they can no longer hold back their tears whenever they feel the pain from the lashes that wound their tender bodies.

Several times, I closed my eyes to the scenes I witnessed. Some of the people of Dayura, including myself and the Lady, were kneeling and bowing in fear, afraid of being targeted by a soldier from another kingdom.

In stature and attire alone, this is not just an ordinary soldier. Their emblem is that of a serpent, with a mix of white and green—none other than the Kingdom of Emblem.

The Empire of Boris Horatia is composed of three kingdoms. Asyreum, Emblem, and Solayde.

And the Kingdom of Emblem, once known for its tranquillity and elusiveness, has now become just like their emblem.

Sinister, like a serpent.

We are inside a ruined church caused by the earlier explosions. Only the concrete walls and the damaged roof remain.

Screams, pleas, and the sounds of violence dominate the ears of everyone present.

"Please, have mercy... enough..." a young boy cries. He is lying on the ground, with bruises and wounds on both feet.

"You should have thought of that before you tried to escape, child."

Once again, the soldier kicks the boy's stomach, causing him to wince in pain.

My whole body trembles at the sight of the pitiful child, helpless and unable to ignore the pain.

No... No, I can't...

Because I can no longer bear to witness the violence they should not experience. Just as I was about to approach, the Lady stopped me.

Lady Varrella shot me a stern look. I beseeched her with my eyes to comprehend.

"Do you desire to be harmed? For..." she trailed off, leaving her sentence hanging in the air.

I couldn't determine if the Lady was imploring or simply being stubborn. In her eyes, there was no longer a vacant stare but rather a glimmer of concern. It was an expression I had only seen now since she became aware of the sudden onslaught from another kingdom.

She wore the same look when the king's name was instantly etched in her mind and her speech.

The Lady clutched my arm firmly. But I was steadfast in my resolve. It was time to stop being a coward.

The Lady gasped at my defiance. She attempted to reach for me, but I had already put some distance between us. I bravely bridged the gap towards the child, who was barely able to move now due to the agony of his injuries.

"Stop! Please! Stop!" I declared with determination.

I tenderly cradled the child and stared directly at the soldier. It was unforeseen for a slave like me to intervene.

But then the soldier before me remained indifferent and struck me forcefully. Simultaneously, he seized my hair.

I could still hear the collective gasps from everyone behind me. The soldier smirked. He gripped my chin tightly and drew it closer to him so that our eyes met.

"You're a courageous slave. You're different," he said, a smirk playing on his lips, then he released me abruptly.

The side of my face went numb from the soldier's grip. I bore the pain.

I didn't retreat; instead, I locked eyes with the soldier and boldly retorted, "I didn't know that the soldiers of Emblem were this despicable. Even children are not exempted."

I grimaced as he slapped me again.

"Silence!" He held my face firmly. His piercing gaze was met with courage. "I didn't know that the slaves of Asyreum were this brave. It's amusing how someone like you, a mere pawn, tries to act valiant."

I clenched my teeth, terrified at what I heard. The soldier smirked even more. Mockingly, he caressed my cheek and trailed it down to my neck. But I didn't anticipate what I did next.

I spat directly in the soldier's face.

"You're a coward," I spat venomously in his face.

"You'll regret that!"

I tasted blood on my lips from his punch.

"Yonahara!" I heard the Lady shout. "Stop it! That's enough!"

But even the Lady's words fell on deaf ears of the soldier. Instead, he unsheathed his sword from his waist and pointed it at the Lady's neck.

"Will you remain silent, or do you want me to begin with you?" he threatened.

This sent a wave of alarm among the others present.

The Lady stared at the soldier. "I've only just discovered that the people of Emblem resort to violence due to their cowardice. It's a disgrace that this is how you demonstrate the might of your kingdom—or is it your weakness?" The Lady spoke with a touch of derision.

The soldier, on the other hand, glared at the Lady with malevolence. He seized her neck.

"If that's the case, where is your king? Where is the fearless leader you brag about?" The soldier laughed. He locked eyes with the Lady.

"We, unlike the people of Emblem, are not the ones who can bring down our kingdom. Because unlike you, we can fight!"

After those words left her lips, she retrieved something from her hair.

As Lady Varrella's hair was pulled, time seemed to stand still. Her long hair flowed like a river, and my eyes widened as I recognised what it was.

A slim and elongated silver blade. The handle was adorned with a design of dove wings crafted from precious stones, while the unexpectedly sharp end could end anyone's life.

But with that action, our glimmer of hope was abruptly extinguished. A familiar voice held the Lady back.

"Go ahead, Lady Varrella, and your treasured slave will pay with their life."

It felt like my breath was stolen as I felt the sword against my neck. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I closed them in distress.

Trembling, I looked at the Lady who now had not just surprise in her eyes but also worry for me and disdain for the person behind me.

"You're a traitor, Chief Council."