Chapter 18

The Inquiry

Tears. That was what I saw in the eyes of the elderly woman before me. A mix of shock, confusion, sorrow, and an apparent disbelief in the news she had just received.

The sound of the broken cup reverberated, its fragments now strewn across the marble floor. Shortly after, I heard the sound of approaching footsteps.

"What's happened?" was the King's immediate query as he entered the room, with Harrion at his side by the door.

"We were merely conversing. I accidentally dropped my cup, didn't have a firm grip on it," the woman before me quickly deflected.

The King surveyed us with a puzzled expression. He didn't notice his teacher's tears. I admired her for swiftly regaining her composure. It was as if she hadn't received distressing news moments ago and could effortlessly shift her emotions.

Shortly thereafter, she inhaled deeply and addressed the King.

"Could we postpone this to another day, Your Majesty? I believe I'm not feeling well."

"Are you alright, Valleri? Has something occurred?" the typically stoic King asked immediately.

I was surprised to see a hint of concern in the King's eyes, despite his stern countenance.

I understood the subtext of the woman's words. She desired solitude. And I knew who was to blame for her sudden loss of spirit. It was due to my own actions. If only I hadn't been so inquisitive or had kept my curiosity to myself...

We were en route back to the palace. The King led the way on his horse, with me riding behind Seron once again. Harrion and Yura were trailing behind us.

I closed my eyes as I felt the chill in the air. And the few damp spots that were gradually falling.

Snow...

"We must hasten. The snow is beginning to fall."

We heeded the King's directive. They quickened their pace and within twenty minutes, we were back at the palace.

Upon our arrival at the Palace, we were welcomed by several maids. Dera, my personal servant, came over to me.

Meanwhile, King Adem departed with Harrion and Seron in a different direction of the palace. Yura was left behind, offering me a slight bow.

"I beg your pardon, Queen Yona. The King often doesn't disclose his whereabouts." I didn't anticipate Yura's statement.

I gently shook my head and assured her it was fine.

"Don't fret. Even when we first met, I was aware of his tendencies. It's nothing new to me."

Yura simply nodded and fell silent.

Night. Stars, and a moon concealed behind the clouds. I exhaled a long, anxious breath. My primary concern was for the teacher. How was she faring? Was she feeling desolate now? What could be happening to her at this very moment?

Secondly, I find myself in the King's quarters. The customary ritual for the first night was not observed. Now, I am filled with uncertainty. The apprehension persists.

He had slept in a different room the previous night. I hope he is there again this evening. I am unsure of how to engage or confront him.

Engrossed in my thoughts, I failed to notice the door opening and the King entering. I didn't turn to face him, keeping my back towards him. I heard the sound of the cabinet door opening and the rustling of fabric.

The King remained silent since his entrance, and it was oddly reassuring that he had no grievances this time. This only heightened my anxiety.

I heard the cabinet door again, followed by the sound of the door opening. I turned to find the King absent, but his night attire was laid out on the bed.

I exhaled deeply. His silence might be preferable. That way, I wouldn't have to endure his demeaning remarks.

I lost track of time. Until I heard his footsteps. He must have just finished bathing.

I assumed his silence would persist. But he wouldn't be King Adem if he didn't have biting remarks.

"You needn't worry. I have no plans of doing that with you," he stated. "I am a King and I am discerning when it comes to the women I engage with."

I released a sarcastic sigh. Where does he draw his confidence and arrogance from? And what? Selective with women? I wasn't aware that was the norm among the nobility these days.

"Your self-assuredness is rather commendable, Your Majesty." I remarked with a smirk, my back still turned to him. "It's unparalleled." I added, my tone dripping with sarcasm.

I heard his curt rebuttal. "If so, who was it that brandished their weapon at me? Out of fear?"

I merely closed my eyes. My fists clenched. I fell silent. I knew I had no retort.

"And I have a query." I felt a shiver as his voice took on a serious tone. "Valleri wasn't herself earlier. She seemed despondent and listless."

I don't know why I was suddenly filled with trepidation. And when he spoke, I felt a shiver run down my spine and held my breath at his profound and serious words.

"Did you say something to Valleri?"