Chapter 11

The Wedding

If I were a woman from a distinguished background, I would have more than one dream, not just freedom. It is a dream cherished by many women - to marry the one our hearts yearn for. The freedom to choose and to love.

But this is my reality now, and I can't do anything more. I know that my decision comes with a price, and that is my freedom. But if the trade-off is my strength - to have power, to do what I want - then I can accept it.

I want to restore order. I want to help the innocent people. I don't know why I made this decision. All I know is that they don't deserve to be in that situation. They shouldn't experience what I have experienced.

Maybe it's foolish to think this way. Because at first, they had no part in my past. They didn't take me in. But should they also experience the pain and terror of violence? Should they also be enslaved like me? Made into toys and objects for the desires of greedy people?

Just the thought squeezes my heart. I feel angry, sad... I want to reach out my hand for them.

Perhaps I am foolish. Others may think that I am trying to be a hero. But the question is, is it right for innocent people to experience all the hardships I have endured?

For me, it's not. Maybe that's what the Lady desires too. And there is no other way to achieve that than to marry the cold King in front of me. To become the Queen of his Empire.

Silence filled the moment.

The cold King's eyes glistened as he looked at me. He seemed surprised by my courage and ability to look at him despite his nudity.

There was a hint of wonder in his eyes before he continued putting on his nightwear. Meanwhile, I felt relieved by whatever his reaction would be.

"I didn't expect you to make this decision at this moment," commented the cold King, as he put on his upper nightwear.

I averted my gaze from his tall figure.

"I didn't see anything," I replied.

The King turned to me with a furrowed brow. He couldn't believe what I said. I really didn't see anything.

I didn't look at...

I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"When is the wedding?" I asked in a determined tone.

It's better to make the process easier for my plans. I need to establish my name. Not just as his Queen, but as myself. And I can only do that once I become the Queen.

I heard his mocking laughter. He crossed his arms, amazed by the boldness I displayed. He faced me, now with a decent appearance.

"I had no idea you were in such a hurry," said the King. "Tell me, how did your mind change so quickly and become so impatient?"

I clenched my hands and looked at him directly. I wanted him to know that I had no doubts.

"I want to restore everything to how it was before."

"Does that have anything to do with what happened just tonight?" he asked. "If you want to restore everything, it means you also want to go back to being a slave."

I shook my head. "No, what I mean is-"

"That's the implication of your words," he stated firmly. He took the wine from the table and poured it into his goblet. "Going back to the past also means reverting to the old life. The same events will recur. Nothing will change."

I was at a loss for words in response to his assertions. How extensive is his wisdom that he can converse with me in this manner?

He took a sip of wine from his goblet. Then he looked at me, a mocking expression on his face.

"What more do you want? You're free now. You're no longer a slave, and the Kingdom that bore witness to your experiences as one of the lowly is no more. Why do you want to help them?"

"Because they are unrelated to my past," I retorted. "They are innocent. There are children and those oblivious to such circumstances."

His laughter echoed again, and he shook his head.

"Only a lunatic would do that."

"Perhaps insane, but what if it happens in your Empire?"

His gaze turned icy when I mentioned his realm.

"I am not a vanquished King," he declared firmly. His gaze bore into me. "Unlike the Empire you hail from."

I retreated as he began to approach. Until I felt the solid wall behind me, while he continued to close the distance.

I clenched my hands tightly, pressed my lips together, and felt his breath just inches away from my face. I couldn't move my head as he held my jaw, so my eyes were forced to meet his intense gaze and the chilling darkness of his eyes.

"Once you marry me, I will use you," he whispered threateningly into my ear. "Do you know why I chose you? It won't be difficult to dismiss your existence when things get complicated."

I gritted my teeth at his threat. When the cold King distanced himself from me, I didn't back down from his stare. I met his gaze with my head held high, matching the intensity of his look.

I didn't yield. If he had me by the neck, I would do the same to him. Fearlessly, I grasped the cold King's cheek, brought my face closer, and whispered a word in his ear.

"If that's how it is, we'll use each other, Your Majesty."

That was the last thing I said before this day came to an end. The day of our union. I didn't care about the applause and well-wishes from some.

Because from now on, I am the Queen of the cold King. If he uses me for his Empire and its power, I will also use the King for my own plans.

Even if my freedom is the price. I will ensure everything concludes before the King denies and brings me down.

"I promise."