Chapter 6

A Royalty

"Milady, just a little more patience. We're almost there," I said as I supported her while we walked.

Here we are now in the ruined palace of the king. We are now navigating the long hallway towards the king's chamber. I have no knowledge of the labyrinthine corridors, so Madam is the one guiding me.

"To the right," she instructed, and we turned.

I thought we would continue walking for a long time. But we were greeted by an arched door, and we also saw the open door.

We paused for a moment when Lady Varrella stopped walking. I looked at her, and that's when I saw her teary eyes. Her tears flowed again, simultaneously.

It felt like a stab in my chest to see her gaze at the door of the chamber.

The King...

I have no idea how deep their bond is. But from what I see now, from the emotion that she is showing, it's clear that they have more than just a deep connection to each other.

Lady Varrella also said it. She loves, and she is loved by the King. And even if he's no longer here, she will continue to love him. No one can surpass him. No one can compare.

Despite the heavy feeling in our hearts, we continued. When we opened the door, that's when we saw everything. Some items were broken and scattered. It was chaotic, and there was evidence of a struggle.

And in the end, we screamed.

We were shocked by what we saw on the rooftop. She wasted no time separating from me to go see what we saw. Grief filled my ears and the entire King's chamber.

"K-Kaan, my love..." Milady cried as she embraced the lifeless body of King Kaan Vastrade.

I couldn't help but join in. The Lady's intense crying over the fate of her beloved king was contagious. It was a gruesome sight, but despite that, she still embraced him without hesitation.

The king's lifeless body was bathing in his own blood. While the sword is lodged in his heart, causing it to lose his life.

I attended to the Lady. I embraced her and tried to comfort her. In all the time I've served her, this is the first time she has cried like this. Utterly shattered.

And with every mention of the king's name, it's like she's being devoured by fire. Her hand touched his cold cheek.

As I watched, it touched my heart. Witnessing that scene felt like burying my own emotions. Although I don't know the full story behind them, I'm sure their memories and love were pure.

I know there's still much I don't know about the Lady's past. I only hope that one day she will find peace and acceptance in her heart.

"Lady, we should go now," I said softly.

The Lady nodded. Her eyes were swollen from tears, but she still made an effort to stand up.

"We need to leave Asyreum. They're surely looking for us. We can't let the traitors and demons catch up to us," the Lady said with determination.

I nodded promptly.

"What about the people here, Lady... Are they all gone? Have they truly been conquered and killed?"

Ever since we were in the dungeon, that thought hasn't left my mind.

I looked at the Lady. Her eyes were staring into nothingness. Burning with anger.

"They won't kill everyone. What they can do is instill fear in the people. Become their leaders and destroy the system," she said.

"I-If that's the case, what could happen to Asyreum if..."