Chapter Seventy-Five

Cassius's letter became more infrequent as the royal forces prepared for the 'final push' as Finneas had called it. Whilst he gave her little to no details, lest their letter be intercepted, Cassius did tell her that they were preparing for another final assault and that his father would be leading the charge with him at his side. The thought made Emmeline terribly afraid, leading the assault? Surely that was where the most danger was?

He apologised that he had less time to write and that the post was slower, with random letter checks happening more often as security tightened. The prospect of longer waits between letters only added to the weight in her chest, but when she wrote back she tried hard not to seem bothered, offering that he needn't write to her at all if he was too busy.

She was relieved two weeks later when he hotly rejected her offer, stating that his only source of comfort were their letters and that he needed them now more than ever.

Emmeline began writing longer letters, not even waiting for his reply before sending another. It meant that sometimes his replies were jumbled and she wasn't sure which letters of hers he was referring to, but it didn't matter. It made her feel connected to him, and he had said her words brought him comfort when he needed it most. Just because his replies were being delayed by checks, that didn't mean that he should have to wait to hear from her. She reasoned to herself.

The passages she copied out became longer also, with Cassius commenting that she must be giving up much of her time just to keep him entertained, and how grateful he was. She had scoffed when she had read that. It wasn't like she had much else to occupy her time. Now that she was stronger, she felt more comfortable riding again, dedicating an hour to an alternating horse each day. She skipped lunch, no lunch being provided unless Clementine came to find her. Then she took a turn around the chilly gardens for a good while, before retiring inside to the library. Writing to Cassius, copying out texts for him, had become one of only a limited number of distractions. The days when his replies arrived were the highlight of her week.

As I lay in bed with the sounds of battle in the distance, I read your words and am calmed.

That line of his often motivated her when her hand cramped up.

Letters from Arabella and Madeleine, Emily and Lavender had become more frequent in contrast to Cassius'. She could tell through the paper that they were just as on edge as she was. Justus often gave far more details in his letter to Madeleine than Cassius did, so Emmeline often learnt about what was happening more from her. Justus had indicated that this final assault was set to be high-risk but high reward. They were setting their sights on 'the heart of the issue', something that the three women had debated at length through their letters. Emmeline suggested maybe the centre of the enemy camp whereas Arabella suggested maybe they were planning on attacking the enemy's capital city itself. Emily was convinced that this cryptic clue was referring to the enemy's supply lines. Her evidence being that the way to men's hearts was with food. Madeleine had a theory that the 'heart of the issue' might be suggesting the King of Listillia, their enemy. Lavender had suggested that perhaps they were targeting a particular battalion of troops but none of them could say for certain that their idea was the right one. Regardless, they were no longer going to waste troops attacking their enemy on the field, they were going right for the source to end the war or die trying.

The ink had been smudged over those words and Emmeline recognised the signs of Lavender's tear marks. Her answering letters to all of them women had been full of reassurances that she didn't believe herself, but would've liked to hear.

...

When Emmeline ripped open the letter she had been long awaiting, she almost didn't believe what she saw inside. The writing, while vaguely reminiscent of the elegant handwriting she had come to know so well, was almost unrecognisable. Almost. The ink had smudged over the page, making some areas hard to read. The letters were shaky and poorly formed, so different to Cassius' usual effortless script. What had happened to him, for his writing to have been so badly affected? Her eyes tripped over the words in her haste to find out. As she read she couldn't help the gasp that came from her lips.

Dearest Emmeline,

My father has been killed. He fought well I am told. I was injured and therefore could not remain at his side for the entire assault. I have been told by almost everyone that I mustn't blame myself for this calamity, but I am dreading the moment when I return and have to face my mother knowing that I could have been there to save her husband, but I failed.

I suppose you will want to know the outcome of the assault as you are always so interested in new developments.

Emmeline paused; did she sense some resentment there? Did he think she would care more about the assault than the fact he was injured, and his father slain? She would correct him in her response.

The war is over. Listillia have surrendered and talks are due to commence shortly. The King has asked that I take my father's place on his council as I am the Grand Duke now. I only hope I do not dishonour my father's memory by failing any more than I have already.

I pray that you will be a source of strength for my mother now, as you have been a source of strength for me.

Until I see you again,

Cassius.

Emmeline read the letter twice, scarcely taking in what she was doing as she began pacing towards the duchess's salon where Carmen spent much of her time.

It was a pretty room, pale pink walls and tall windows looked out over the ornamental flower beds that Emmeline herself also enjoyed so much.

Without even knocking she pushed open the door, her shock dulling her inhibitions.

She stood speechless as she looked at Carmen who seemed surprised at the intrusion.

"Carmen. Have you opened your mail?"

The woman's surprise turned to distaste as she was spoken to so informally. "Emmeline I don't know what's gotten into you today but-"

She didn't have time to waste on this. Thrusting her letter in the woman's face she cut her off. "Just read. You must."

Emmeline didn't worry over the obvious affection between her and Carmen's son as she might have in any other situation. For all her faults, Carmen loved her husband deeply. That had been obvious from the first and if their places were switched, she would want to know immediately what had happened. 

...........................................................................

Author's Note:

Vote, and comment to let me know what you think!

S x