Chapter Seventy-Six

Carmen's eyes danced across the page as she read, the vibrant blue so like her sons' seeming to shine as the tears swelled and overflowed. Her knees crumbled a little and Emmeline didn't think twice about catching her, guiding her back to her chair and calling for attendants.

"The Duchess needs a glass of cold water." She yelled.

Carmen gripped her wrist, looking up into her eyes. "Brandy." Emmeline would've smirked in any other situation. In any other set of circumstances it would've been comical, but not now.

"The Duchess needs brandy. Now" She called, hearing the scrambling of feet approach.

Carmen kept her hand on Emmeline's wrist, holding onto her like a lifeline as she reread the letter once, twice, three times. Unsure if she should stay or go, she took the hold on her sleeve to be a good sign and sat next to on the plush couch.

"Your grace, I am so sorry." She began, unsure how to encapsulate such large emotions with simple words.

Carmen looked pretty even in grief, her bottom lip quivered a little as she tried to compose herself, the tears that were flowing down her cheeks catching the sunlight as she stared unseeing out at the gardens she adored. Emmeline stewed in the silence, feeling both sorry for her loss but also incredibly awkward. It felt alien to sit so close to the lady of the manor, especially when she was so affected.

Servants appeared with a pitcher of water, a bottle of brandy, and glasses. There were some raised eyebrows when they saw the two women sitting together but no one commented, of course. "Is there anything else you need your grace?" The severe looking Ms Francis asked, Carmen's lady's maid. Her posture was as always, rigidly straight, the woman looking strong and dependable despite her greying hair. Exactly the sort of person you would need in a crisis.

When Carmen remained unresponsive Emmeline tentatively spoke up. The maid looked unimpressed but complied when she asked for some food. "I think her grace is in shock. Perhaps some food? Something small and maybe sweet? Also, could her mail be brought please. Urgently."

Emmeline knew little to nothing about looking after someone when they were like this, but sugar seemed like a good idea. There had never been any love lost between them, but Emmeline wasn't about to leave her to suffer on her own. What kind of person would that make her? Besides, Cassius had asked her to be a source of strength for his mother, and she would honour his wishes.

The silence was beginning to creep on Emmeline's nerves, making her feel on edge more and more with each ticking second. Deciding that as long as she was being presumptuous, she might as well do it properly, she poured two glasses on brandy, forcibly putting one in Carmen's hand before taking a deep sip of her own. The action seemed to rouse Carmen back to herself and she followed suit, half draining her glass and wincing before nodding for another. Emmeline obliged, refilling the glass far more than what would've been considered a polite amount. "Thank you for telling me, Emmeline." She croaked a while later when a second glass had been emptied.

The maid finally arrived with the day's post, the envelope from the front standing out obnoxiously amongst the other correspondence. The paper was thick, a deep cream with a blood red royal seal stamped on the back.

Carmen's fingers shook as she opened it, Emmeline taking the glass from her hand helpfully and setting it down. It was one thing to hear it from a letter to someone else but this looked official, important, and would no doubt be the royal notice of Duke Marcellus' passing. Her suspicions were confirmed when Carmen let out a muffled sob, her eyes blurred by tears as she read the handwritten note from her brother-in-law the King. Much to Emmeline's disbelief, Carmen handed it to her to read once she was done, reaching for her brandy once more.

Emmeline raced over the King's words. Cassius had neglected to mention just how badly he was harmed. His right arm had been badly injured, almost torn away, within the first hour of the assault, making him unable to ride let alone lift his sword. Victor had ordered Cassius to retreat despite his son's protests before turning to lead the rest of the troops to victory.

A terrible, bloody victory. Hard fought and hard won.

The King expressed his regrets, his gratitude and much else, promising to watch over his nephew Cassius personally for the remainder of their time on campaign.

Carmen drained yet another glass and began to sway slightly before Emmeline handed her a small macaroon. "You must eat. You must." She cooed, trying to encourage the woman, who had deprived her of food, to eat.

The duchess rolled her eyes to look at her, really look for a few seconds. "You may leave me. I am not so cruel as to make you care for the one who has made you suffer."

Emmeline squared her jaw for a second but shook away the nasty retort that briefly wished to escape. No, she wouldn't kick Carmen when she was down. No matter how badly she wanted to tell her that she had behaved abominably and unfairly and so on and so on. Instead she simply put some finger foods on a fine china plate and handed it to her.

"I am not so cruel as to leave one to suffer alone."

It did not take long for Carmen Marcellus to finish the bottle, demanding another at once despite Emmeline's alarmed expression. They said almost nothing to one another, but it felt right to at least be at her side as she drank herself into forgetfulness. Only once she had slumped over and been carried to her chambers, did Emmeline leave.

She wandered back to her own chambers, unsure where else to go or what else to do other than to write back to Cassius. His letter was damp and crumpled now, having been cried over and clutched so tightly it might have ripped.

She smoothed out the page with her fingertips before blinking hard and penning a reply.

Perhaps it was the alcohol, or perhaps it was her own shock at his implication that she didn't care, but her words flowed more easily than normal. It was amazing how fast a letter could be written when one wasn't worrying over each and everything phrase.

My dearest Cassius,

The loss of your father is a blow, the likes of which I cannot imagine. Your letter arrived before the King's, so I told your mother the news myself. She did not take it well, but she is very glad that you are alive.

She hadn't said as much but Emmeline had seen her exhale of relief when she had read that Cassius was injured but alive.

I am pleased that the war is to be over shortly. I know you think I have asked you so doggedly for updates because I care about the outcome of the war, but this couldn't be further from the truth. I have only ever cared about the progress of the fighting so that I might know when you are coming back. Although the news of your father is deeply sad, I will not pretend that the news of you returning soon does not lift my spirits.

When you are able, please write to your mother. I know that it will give her great solace to hear from you.

We will be waiting for you here, ready to welcome you home. Until then, rest, heal, and do not judge yourself too harshly.

The King said that you performed valiantly on the field. I am sure your father would've been very proud.

With my love,

Your Emmeline.

She sealed it up without a second thought and handed it to Clementine who seemed teary. 

............................................................................

Author's Note:

Emmeline is a better person than me. 

S x