Chapter 1: Floor -4

Chapter 1: Floor -4

"Come on, Luna. Down we go."

Penelope Silverthorn's feet clicked over the magic-filled halls of MACUSA. A heavy box in her arm almost weighted her down with every step she took as she reached the destined floor, -4, Department of Magical Transportation.

Behind her, a white golden dog, Luna, pawed with its tongue out and a glowing bow wrapped over her ears as she followed her owner above and stood in place at every stop.

Penelope finally reached the front desk, placing the heavy box over it, and took a breath as she waited for the wizarding worker to take notice.

William Felix, the Portkey office receptionist, blinked once in annoyance and cleared his throat at the hasting twenty-six year old in front of him.

"Yeah, any louder? Let the entire floor know you're on your way to solve mystery cases, once again. We get it." His pen clicked repeatedly on the paper.

Penelope rolled her eyes and a confident smirk grew on her at the statement, "Don't fuss, Will. You know without me, your services would be no fun." She spoke in sarcasm.

William Felix let out a scoff toward the young woman's remarks, adjusted to the patterned rivalry between them, and continued to click the pen.

"Without you what? You do realize there are dozens of wizards and witches traveling in the Portkey services every single day, correct?" William reminded.

Penelope Silverthorn and William Felix had this sort of over-complicated friendship. It's been eight years in the works. And eight years of torture to travel. 44 year old William Felix couldn't understand why a young international transferred 18 year old would need a Portkey every other day. He always had to remark something along the way.

"Hm, but not many take the courage to have a decent conversation with you, Will." Penelope smiled sarcastically, placing her elbow on the desk and resting her chin on her hand.

William scoffed, but he knew she was right.

He'd never liked her attitude, but Penelope did have a point. It took someone bold like her to actually engage in conversation with him. Most just ignored.

"Name your destination, Silverthorn." William struggled to maintain his weight as he stood up from the chair and drew his wand.

Penelope blinked for a moment and began to rethink her process of where she would be going.

She spent all night thinking about this. There was no sleep for her. How could one sleep knowing they were about to go back to a place they once mourned, but also missed? It was difficult.