Chapter 15: Sister-In-Law

Anne Sallow greeted Penelope Silvethorn in a very polite manner, keeping her light hazel eyes crinkled as she smiled over at the hungover women, but if you looked within, you could sense a hint of awkwardness in the greeting.

The two women glared at each other for a moment. One in the kitchen and one in the mid-living room, but perhaps from all those years of not seeing each other, the awkward aura left.

Anne turned down the fire from the baking pan and wiped her hands, finally gathering herself to walk toward the living room and open her arms.

The hug was like a friendship that never ended. It was tight and full of laughter.

It was certainly a different reunion with a Sallow twin for Penelope Silverthorn.

Penelope kept a half-smile, hiding the fact that the hug movement made her feel dizzy from the post-drunk night; her head throbbed at the sight.

"It's been so long," Anne let out as they separated again.

"I know." Penelope said breathlessly, not wanting to think of the length of years, "Anne, what—what are you doing here?"

Anne kept her hands intertwined with Penelope's shoulders as both women spoke with emotion and support.

"What do you mean?" Anne gave out a soft laugh, "We live here, Pen."

Penelope stood in a dumbfounded gaze, her body frozen as her eyes stared around the home setting.

The home was structured well. The nice opened living room with a comfortable maroon couch. An entrance hallway with portraits that she couldn't really distinguish, yet. The old vintage kitchen from afar. The stairs that led up to the second floor.

It wasn't Feldcroft. I could say that. Penelope thought to herself, observing.

"We?" Penelope said confusedly.

Anne nodded, "Yes. My brother and I!" She assured, and Penelope tingled a little at the news of Sebastian also living here, "Well, we always did...it's our childhood home." She fixed.

Penelope's eyes widened a little, the structure and portraits making sense over her observations. Now, she took a deeper feel over the home.

"Really? You're saying," She lifted a finger, pointing around the place, "This is the famous Sallow's home?"

It was mentioned in the past that the Sallow's Home was put up for sale the moment the Sallow twins became orphans. Solomon Sallow wasn't up to taking over the home, so ignoring the children's love for it, he sold it and took them to Feldcroft with him.