Chapter 2: Professor Sallow

"Anyway,
don't be a stranger."
Phoebe Bridgers

"As you know, Hogwarts is currently facing a rare plague that has taken a toll on the castle and its students," Matilda Weasley let out to Penelope, adjusting her glasses as she read down, "This illness...is spreading quickly. Students are getting ill."

Penelope Silverthorn sat anxiously on the vintage seat across from Matilda Weasley. Her fingers continually scratched on the chair's handle while her feet tapped repeatedly.

The Headmaster-Headmistress office hadn't been anywhere new in the castle for her. Penelope had been there in the past from the last three years she spent at Hogwarts. The Headmaster at the time, Phineas Black, always called on her for mandatory circumstances.

Penelope sighed, aware of the main cause, and looked down at her fingers, "I am well aware of the disastrous situation. It's very unfortunate."

"It truly is. Very unfortunate," Matilda sighed along, "A few of the faculty, including I, and a handful of the ministry's members, have been working around the clock to investigate the source of all this, but it's become difficult."

Penelope nodded.

Matilda Weasley stands from her throne and rests her wrinkly hands flatly over the wooden desk as she speaks to Penelope in a concerned matter.

"Miss Silverthorn, you've always been a very special student at Hogwarts. Always. We appreciate your talents and capabilities, and it's fortunate you got to take that to use." Matilda complimented her.

Penelope wanted to give a smile at the truthful words of her old professor. There were moments in her fifth year when she felt taken advantage of for doing many favors at such a young age, but as the years went on, she realized it was her destiny to be the hero. She was chosen for a reason.

"We'd never want to take advantage of you, but given the circumstances—"

"It's alright, Pro—I mean Matilda," Penelope forced out a slight smile, putting her guard of 'I can handle this' like she's been doing the last decade, "I know I've been...away....for so long, but if I had known about this earlier, I would've helped. It is upsetting to hear about this."

Was it upsetting to Penelope Silverthorn? There was a Slytherin side in her that didn't want to let a bunch of strange students be the weight on her shoulders the next few days, but there was also a guilty side that wanted to give a hand for abandoning such a place.

Penelope wondered if she had stayed, if things would've been different.

"We know you've been gone for a long time, and we did not mean to disrupt your journey, but you are the most qualified person for this task." Matilda Weasley paused, looking at her closely with a mixture of admiration and concern. "You are one of the few that knows this castle best. Inside out."