Chapter 26: Professor Sallow's Office

"Even now when we're already over,
I can't help myself from looking for you."
Adele

Penelope Silverthorn couldn't think straight that morning. Her mind was a tangled web of conflicting emotions and insults in the aftermath of what had happened on the floor below hours ago. Yes, hours — the time sped as she rotted inside that faculty bedroom. Overthinking and chaos became her best friends.

A mixture of embarrassment and frustration gawked Penelope as she replayed the event in her mind. She couldn't shake the thought that somehow, this was all her fault. That if she had intervened sooner in that argument, none of this wouldn't have happened.

But the maybe's taunted her. Maybe if she had found the courage to step in and stop the argument before it escalated, Sebastian wouldn't have said what he said — Maybe if she had been more assertive, Josh wouldn't have kept pushing with remarks. Maybe, Maybe —

And all those people who witnessed it. Penelope was able to catch whispers upon going back to her bedroom with the faculty members; the speculation about the nature of Penelope and Sebastian's relationship being the spotlight.

"Oh, I've probably been inside of her more than you ever have," The voice echoed with mockery and disdain as it replayed endlessly on her head.

And he said so proudly just to win the argument. So fucking proudly.

Penelope paced back and forth inside the room, the air becoming humid with the raw energy of her emotions. You could see the Ancient Magic dance beneath her skin, the weight of her own power becoming dense from the uncontrollable thoughts as it traced higher.

"Fuck, fuck," She let out with a whispered curse from the frustration.

That was an engaged man she was stressing about. A man that belongs to another. A man who had moved on after eight years. A man that was no longer her's.

But despite the harsh reality, Penelope couldn't deny the lingering calls with the names, the bittersweet conversations the professor would start up before inevitable interruptions, the Undercroft, and now this bloody thing.

How was she supposed to confront anyone after this? How was she supposed to keep working on this case with him everywhere? How...how...after all this?

Perhaps, Joshua Rogers was right. None of this wouldn't have occurred if the professor just simply minded his business. Just worried about himself and his pretty woman.

What if this was his revenge for leaving him eight years ago? Having him torment me purposely to make my life hell as I stayed here? Penelope thought to herself. What if...