Chapter 10: Professor Sallow's Distraction

"So if the chain is on your door,
I understand,"
Taylor Swift

Penelope Silverthorn sat leg-crossed inside that room in the Headmaster's wing the very next morning. Her fingers tapped nervously over the parchment documents below as she bit her lower lip anxiously.

"Miss Silverthorn?"

Penelope's eyes shot up at the name call and she felt as if her forehead line was beginning to sweat from the spotlight in today's faculty meeting.

"Sorry, Pro—I mean, Headmistress Weasley?" Penelope cleared her throat, dropping the quill pen from her fingers.

"We are recollecting your experience at St. Mungos last week," Matilda Weasley spoke to her, adjusting her glasses, "I know you explained your crossed connection with the ill students already, but I was wondering if you wanted to elaborate more."

Penelope blinked, her mouth parting a little and her eyes landing on the familiar brown leather journal on her lap.

The notes, right, the notes. Penelope reminded in her head.

Penelope cleared her throat, her fingers going down and flipping through the journal; it was out of sight from the others around.

Sebastian Sallow was nearby. It would've been a secondhand embarrassment to release his personal items to the other members right there.

Her eyes scanned through the note-taking of the case. Sebastian's notes getting her attention at each read while she tried to focus on her own.

At some point, Penelope's eyelashes glanced over the brown hairs from afar. Professor Sallow's stare was already on Penelope's as he had been watching each movement of hers since the meeting.

His notes were distracting. Penelope wondered whether this had been the proper time to call out the professor and ask him about what he had written himself, but the topic would change.

Perhaps, Sebastian wasn't revealing these notes for a reason. Perhaps, it was a discussion that needed to be held more privately first.

"Uh, no," Penelope finally brought her gaze back at the other members, "I've explained well enough my experience with the students. I would like to elaborate more when I look for more findings and investigate. If that's alright?"

"Of course, Miss Silverthorn," Matilda gave a nod, "Would anyone else like to add-in to the case?"

Victor Baufort, the French Auror, raised a finger and Penelope flushed a little, realizing that he was about to speak with her on the topic.