Chapter 23: Poppy's Reflection

"Love a fool who knows
just how to get under your skin."
Harry Styles

Joshua Rogers was a nuisance. An utter nuisance.

According to Sebastian Sallow.

"Please, introduce yourself." The headmistress spoke in the faculty meeting room the next day.

Joshua Rogers aligned himself, placing two hands on top of that table, and cleared his throat as he introduced himself in a clear manner.

"Right. I'm Joshua Rogers," Joshua let out and Sebastian's eyes looked everywhere, but at the man, "Josh. If not aware, I am one of the top qualified Aurors of the Magical Congress of the United States of America." He said, confidently.

Everyone in that faculty meeting room greeted with nods and waves, considering Joshua's arrival was later than others. They didn't want to waste any more time on the case.

"I'm glad to be helping alongside this case with Miss lovely Pen—I mean," Joshua cleared his throat as he felt Penelope tap his elbow from the correction, "Miss Silverthorn here."

Penelope Silverthorn flushed at the free mention Joshua gave her, but for the professional act, she gave a small smile and looked back down to her notes.

Professor Sallow's fingers tapped rapidly into his own brown journal. It was in a fidgeting way, but if someone paid attention to him in an observant view, you would tell he was irritated by the presence.

Jealousy was a bolded word for the professor. He had no right to even use it on himself. He had a life of his own and a partner. There was no need to feel any jealousy symptoms toward someone else's partner.

Sebastian watched Joshua Rogers. He watched the way he spoke his American words in such a clear take. English for them was easy. He watched how the man rolled up his sleeves purposely, even though the room was cold. He was obviously doing that on purpose for the sake of attention.

And he watched how Penelope Silverthorn sat next to him. How her eyes were on her work partner in an interesting way and how her smile would grow forcibly when he turned to her.

Forcibly. Or as Sebastian tried gaslighting himself that she wasn't really smiling. He knew her too well. Yeah, forcibly.

"Professor Sallow?"

Sebastian's reality came back and the fidgeting on his journal stopped as he stared up and noticed he was in the spotlight after dazing off with negative thoughts the last few minutes.

He cleared his throat and adjusted, "Pardon?"

"It seems like you and Mister Rogers share alongside a few similar tasks regarding the case," Headmistress Weasley informed.