Prologue

Prologue

September
1900

Wizarding Crime Case #1269

The Case of the Rising Shadows.

Main Causes:

Unsuspected magical usage on a muggle location, Main Hall located in Ellis Island.

Source of wand usage: High

Multiple sightings of a black —

"Psst,"

Penelope Silverthorn's fingers traced around the case report on the desk in front of her. The moving picture of the Main Hall building evaporating every second from the black and white paper.

"Pen!"

Penelope ignored the whisper across from her, keeping her fingers on the ongoing case and figuring out a plot-solution to stop the cause, again.

It was her life job.

There was no title given to her working for MACUSA, or in longer terms, Magical Congress of the United States. How can a title even be given to her based on all the skills the twenty-six years old held within her?

It wasn't often that the Wizarding World gained a powerful witch at the age of sixteen in 1890. Let alone, a Hogwarts student who defeated the most evil Goblin villain within the Highlands of Scotland and gets infused with the most rare magic in magical history, Ancient Magic.

Again, not often.

Sometimes, she identified herself as an Auror, she did have the warrant for that. Sometimes, she identified as a Hit Wizard. Sometimes, she'll stumble upon the Department of Magical Games and Sports to remind others how skilled she was, mentally and physically.

"Penelope!"

Penelope's finger stopped its movement mid-reading as the voice across kept calling out and a soft sigh came out of her before shutting the documents in place.

"How many times do I need to remind you that I'm not fond of being called by my full name, Josh?" Penelope spoke in near annoyance.

Joshua Rogers held in a cocky smile as he sat across his working partner on floor -12 in the Underground office. His body laid restlessly against the rolling chair as he enchanted a few pens to fly around him.

"I can't help myself, considering each time you get angry at me, it only turns me on more." Joshua cooed in a flirt.

But Penelope Silverthorn felt nothing toward the man.

Yeah, she had her fair share with him. I mean, when you're put in an office with a six-foot, blue eyed, and fitted black haired man three feet across from you for several years, how could you not contain yourself?

Penelope only saw it as a source of pleasure. She was at the peak age of 26, and it's difficult to avoid temptations on such occasions, but commitment was never her goal. Ever.

"Well, I'm not angry, I'm annoyed," Penelope gave a sarcastic smile, "What is it?"

Joshua huffed at the attractive woman feet away. Despite how many times Penelope played hard to get, even after he got his chance, he loved the chase. It was only in men's nature to do that.