Chapter 30: Sebastian's Nemesis

...

Penelope Silverthorn's breathing hitched as she tried to compose herself upon entering the Slytherin Common Room. It was past midnight, so the common seemed empty, letting the student freely cry.

Penelope didn't go further into her dormitory that night. She couldn't bring herself to face her sleeping roommates and bother them with faint sobs from what she just witnessed at such a late hour.

She stood there outside the hallway of the dormitories, her eyes fixed on the door as she adjusted to stop her cries and sniffs.

"Pen?"

Penelope swallowed the gasp that wanted to project at the sound of another student in the hall. With red eyes and puffy from crying, Penelope felt embarrassed to stare up all the way.

Imelda Reyes walked in slowly, her Quidditch practice attire muddy as a broomstick slung over her shoulder. Her brows were raised at seeing her Slytherin friend cry.

"What's going on? Why are you just standing there?" Imelda asked, almost annoyed. It wasn't her intention to sound that way, but it was just the way Imelda Reyes was.

Penelope wiped her eyes rapidly, "It's nothing," she lied, keeping her eyes low, "What are you doing up so late, Imelda?"

Imelda furrowed at the lie and shrugged, "I always fly past curfew for practice. There's a big game Friday. It's my usual night routine."

Penelope just gave a small nod.

Imelda Reyes wasn't an empath. A true Slytherin at heart, she was known to only prioritize her own interests and herself. She rarely showed concern for others and was self-centered, but somehow, Penelope Silverthorn (the girl she was jealous of for a while in the fifth year) became a concern.

"What's wrong?" She asked Penelope, again.

"Nothing."

Imelda rolled her eyes, "Cut the bloody act, Pen. It's late. You're crying. What happened?"

Penelope remained quiet for a moment. She was preparing herself to open up to Imelda. Although she knew Imelda's words of advice would be brutal, there was no escape. They were roommates.

Within the deep opening Penelope was about to present to her roommate, the sound of footsteps echoed down the hall, nearing the girls' dormitory hall.

Penelope's throat closed, watching Sebastian Sallow in a sober state that night, his body struggling within the moving stairs as he tried to approach his girlfriend with a guilty expression.