Chapter 14: I Think I'm Drunk

Chapter 12: I Think I'm Drunk

"For a minute,
I was stone cold sober,"
James Arthur

Sebastian Sallow didn't keep his stare off Penelope Silverthorn that night. He watched the lazy mechanisms of the woman in front of him as she tried to function over his presence.

Penelope gave out an unexpected laugh at the sight of the parchment over his hand.

"Ha! What? M-Merlin! I-I did not send that...I-I...IT was the stupid owl in the far bloody corner down there!"

Sebastian couldn't help, but sigh as he listened to the drunken babble of Penelope. Her speech was broken; it was somewhat funny and it made him feel something he had forgotten about a long time ago — but he needed to keep himself together.

"Pen—"

"I'm f-fineee-" As Penelope waved around her body, it was as though her legs couldn't quite support her anymore.

Sebastian took hold of her arms, steadying Penelope to prevent a fall before he began to guide her around the loud crowd of Hogs Head.

"Come on," Sebastian directed, his touch gentle over her arms as he walked carefully behind her, "No more."

"What?!" Penelope screeched at the news, "Noooooo." She moaned out.

Penelope Silverthorn was out of it by that point and Sebastian knew that. He knew that because if the normal sobered up Penelope Silverthorn saw her behavior that night, it'd be embarrassing.

"Ah, Sallow?!"

Sebastian took a brief pause, an elbow leaning against the counter while a hand gripped Penelope's arm to prevent her from running away into the crowd and disappearing again.

"Garreth," Sebastian said firmly at the sight of an, also, drunk ginger over the bar.

How unprofessional. Sebastian thought to himself, but who could he blame? The entire village seemed to be here celebrating whatever nonsense it was with Penelope.

Merlin, Sebastian wouldn't have been surprised to hear that the main celebration was Penelope Silverthorn herself.

"What a surprise visit to see you here! I thought you said your drinking days were over?" Garreth signaled the man, motioning an act of chugging a beer.

Sebastian flushed at the haunting reminder of his depressive years after Penelope's unexpected leave. A frown grew over him on why Garreth Weasley would say that, but he had to remind himself that they were drinking.

"They are." Sebastian assured.

"You use to d-drink?" Penelope coughed up in curiosity at the conversation.