Chapter 6: Sebastian's Journal

"I just wanted you to know,
this is me trying,"
Taylor Swift

The confrontation between Sebastian Sallow and Penelope Silverthorn was awkward. There were no other words to describe the setting between two old yearning hearts that had so much to say, yet, nothing to say.

Penelope's throat tickled, wanting to choke out from the nerves as her eyes reflected on the young professor yards away.

Just keep walking, Pen. Just keep walking. She reminded herself.

Sebastian Sallow stood in a wide stance, his long fingers gripping the papers in hand tightly as he bit the inside of his cheek from the unusual tension between himself and his ex-lover.

Merlin should've punished him for taking this much of his own time just playing the eye contact game with Penelope Silverthron. It felt wrong and unprofessional — but it also felt comforting.

No, Sallow.

"I...I'm sorry, I—"

"No need," Sebastian cut in, stepping aside, giving guidance for Penelope to go up those stairs that he was blocking.

Penelope mentally slapped herself for feeling the temperature from the side of her face rise quickly. She kept her stare down, hoping Sebastian wouldn't notice the embarrassment of her nervous system as she walked slowly.

"Pardon me." Penelope gave a low nod, passing beside Sebastian with no more eye contact.

No more eye contact, but the contact itself — let's just say, Merlin does seem to work his way out of things.

Penelope Silverthorn wondered why she didn't walk around him. Or how there was so much space on that first floor of the Faculty Tower, yet she took the impulsive decision to pass inches from him.

It might've been Sebastian Sallow's fault too. On his end, it was his fault. He shouldn't have moved his arm when Penelope passed him. He should've stayed put like he was, but the impulsive decision to move while she moved was there.

As Sebastian lowered his arm from his papers, his fingers brushed through Penelope's wrist, taking touch of the skin for seconds — maybe, even milliseconds.

But those milliseconds felt like an eternity.

Sebastian Sallow's jaw tightened at the gesture, but didn't move. He just heard the footsteps of Penelope Silverthorn continue, ignoring the contact and going up the stairs in a hasting manner.

Penelope Silverthorn's chest rose in and out once that bedroom door shut completely on the second floor. Her right hand stayed glued to the doorknob as her back lay flatly against the wooden door, eyes closed as she took in the silent interaction.