Chapter 27: Halloween Night Part 1

"Now I know I have met an angel,
in person,
darling, you look perfect tonight."
Ed Sheeran

May 28, 1892

"I am tired." Eighteen year old, Penelope Silverthorn, confessed abruptly inside the magical barrier, "I have to live my life."

Penelope was tired. Who wouldn't be? Being in a position of getting thrown into a magical castle, way behind education, and yet, expected to be in control of never-ending battles and quests? For two years?

The vintage enchanted portraits remained unmoved; their expressions impassive as they countered her truth with a reminder of her so called, "fate".

"You chose this decision, child," Percival Rackham, a keeper, pin-pointed at her, "You wielded upon black traces of magic in this repository."

The words hung like a harsh reminder of the choice Penelope made last minute in the fifth year. The consequences she now faced for an abrupt ending.

"That doesn't mean I'm bound to it forever. I'm no longer a child, and I shall not keep risking myself to endless trials and sacrifices." Penelope argued.

There was a moment of discussion between the Ancient Magic witch and The Keepers. The conversation was unfair. Four against one, but Penelope Silverthorn's Slytherin traits peaked with her words.

"I could stop these trials once I step foot into that American Ministry!" Penelope pointed out, "Now who would care for your trials now? Who would—"

"And leave the life you have behind here?" Niamh Fitzgerald questioned out of the blue.

Penelope bit the inside of her lip, reflecting on the question.

Yes, the life she had. The life after Hogwarts. The life with her friends. The life with Sebastian Sallow, the man she loves deeply — the man was enough reasoning to stop her from leaving. She couldn't do that to him. Not when she knew he wouldn't be able to escape to America with her from his ten-year barrier of leaving the region.

Unless...unless,

"If you choose to leave for America, Penelope, you must understand the gravity of your choices," They said in solemn, "You will be deemed a traitor—"

"Traitor?" Penelope scoffed, "Because I won't do trials, but be a powerful witch and still live a normal life somewhere else that isn't here?"

The Keepers remained unmoved, their expression emotionless as they stood a stance.

"If you choose to leave, you will not be welcomed back. It is a reckless way out of your destined magic," Charles Rookwood told, "You will be cast out, branded as a traitor—"