Witch & Familiar Mates V

Sofia looks back down at the note in her hand. The writing on the card had changed to an address?

14096 N Old Sunset Road

Old Sun City Wyoming

"Strange," she says, but she was used to strange. She was strange. She flips the card over and reads the back.

See you soon, darling.

"What is this?" she asks, inspecting the card.

The old woman-her grandmother-Laverne could create a flame without fuel or a spark, just like Sofia. She had always just passed it off as a magic trick that could fool even pen and teller because it fooled her, but what if it wasn't a trick? What if it was actual magic, and this woman knew how to use such magic?

She looks back down at the address. Could she really be my grandmother? But if so, why is she only contacting me now? Why not when my parents died and my friend's parents adopted me? Why didn't she take me in?

She had so many questions. She looked back down at the card. At least I have a way to get some answers.

She stuffs the note in her backpack and holds the rose. It was the first time someone had given her a flower. It brought a smile to her face. She heads back to her apartment for the shower she so desperately needs.

---

She gets back to the apartment and calls out for Abby but gets no reply. "Oh, that's right. She finally was able to pick up some more hours at work this week," she mumbles under her breath as she places the rose in a glass of water on the counter.

The apartment was a small two bedroom. The cheapest in the area. Outside all their windows was the most enchanting view of brick walls one could ever imagine. It made for a truly inspiring study atmosphere. Yeah, not.

She stripped her clothes the minute she entered her room and only shut the door after. She could shut her blinds, but for some reason she enjoyed giving the brick wall a show.

She hops in the shower with the water ice cold. Unlikely most people, she didn't do it because she wanted some strange health benefits but just more because she felt more comfortable on the cold than heat.

Her friends always joked she was too hot-blooded. She was always hot and overheated easily.

She just stands there for a moment, letting the cold water pour over her. Her mind clear.

She finishes her shower and right as she steps out, her phone rings.

She turns off her alarm with a smile. The notification reads dinner with Earl.

She squealed and jumped in a little circle. She was so excited. She tried to calm herself so she could focus on getting ready, but it only made her more excited. She liked him, really liked him. She couldn't hide the anticipation. She felt nauseous from excitement. She couldn't help the giggles that came from her, nor the wide grin on her face. So she just leans into it.

She runs from the bathroom to her room and does a running jump onto her bed. She rolls onto her back and lays out in a starfish. She smiles and imagines what tonight will be like, what last night was like. She bites her lip. What this morning was like.

Eventually she is calm enough that she can actually get ready. So she grabs a nice black dress that hugs her body and has slits on either side for easier walking in the satin fabric. The top isn't low cut but still shows off a bit of cleavage. The straps are thin and delicate and also slightly worn.

Maybe I should wear something else?

So a moment later, she's in a dress made of a stretchy fabric that goes down just past her knees. The long sleeves and body have a purposely wrinkled look to them. And it makes her look chubby. Ugh.

She stands there once again in another back dress. The arms are a simple long sleeve with a v-neck to show off the girls and a slim body line that hugs her curves nicely. It goes down to just above her ankles but is still stretchy enough to move in. She does a quick spin.

She inspects herself in the mirror and checks her watch. Good enough, I'm not changing again.

She grabs her chunks and zips off the boot part to make them into more like a normal pair of platform heels. She grabs a purse and packs it full of a bunch of shit she will most likely not need. She is also fully aware of the fact that she will most likely forget something she actually need.

She makes some small braids on the side of her hair that she eventually braids into two french braids that go almost to her ankles.

She grabs her stuff with the intention to run back into the bathroom to put on some makeup, but in her rush she accidentally knocks over her backpack, sending the contents of her bag everywhere.

She looks down at the mess of her stuff all over the floor for a minute. Why?

Eventually she decides to just ignore it for now. She could clean it up later.

But as she tries to hop over the mess, she slips on the note from that old lady-her grandmother-Laverne. She still doesn't know what to call that woman.

She's manages to catch herself but over-corrects and loses her balance, falling face first into the note.

Is this really the last thing I see before I die? She asks herself.

No.

Her eyes widen as right before she hits the ground, the note changes. She clamps her eyes shut, bracing for impact, but she doesn't hit.

When she opens her eyes, she's sitting on an old couch, purse in hand.

"Where am I?" she turns and sees "Earl?"

To be continued...

January 25, 2024