The Wizard Starweaver & His Apprentice II

Once every millennium, the wizard Starweaver takes on a student, or apprentice. It is not something one can apply for. He waits and searches until he finds a pupil he deems worthy. So when he comes to you offering to teach you all he knows about magic and how to wield your own, well, you don't turn down an offer like that easily.

It was tempting, to say the least.

That night, when they got home, her mother had asked about her power and Jane had finally shown her mother her ability to make shadows dance along the walls.

They moved as she wanted, a dog barking, a couple dancing, a baby crying. She'd never thought much of it and was embarrassed about it. It didn't feel important or useful like her mother's. That had been why she'd hid it.

Her mother had held her and told her that she should make the decision for herself.

"Jane, you are gifted. You should take this opportunity and use it to your advantage."

"But what about you mama," she'd asked, tears welling in her eyes.

"I will be here waiting to see what an incredibility talented woman you become."

"I don't want to leave," she'd cried into her mother's arms. It had been true, or partly. She wanted to understand the magic more. Her curiosity aching for more.

She'd slept by her mother that night and every night after. Both she and her mother knew what she would choose, but it didn't make it any easier of a choice.

After lunch, her mother came to her and asked, "When are you going to open that locket?"

"Soon," she said.

"Don't take too long," her mother warned, "or else the desires of your heart will lose to the worries of you mind."

Jane nodded, looking down.

"I want to take the offer." She didn't look at her mother.

"I know," her mother said, her voice soft, "and you should."

"I am going to miss you," Jane says, a tear slipping from her eye without her permission.

She finally looked up at her mother. She was smiling as a constant stream of tears fell from her warm brown eyes.

"I will miss you too, darling." Her mother opened her arms to her daughter.

Jane ran into her mother's arms.

She would find a way to take her mother with her. She had to. She couldn't leave her behind.

Her mother was almost 50 when she'd had Jane. So she was well into her 70s now and Jane couldn't imagine missing out on the time she had left with her.

She squeezed her mother tighter.

---

The next day, she was ready. She stood in the kitchen, her bags packed beside her. Her mother sat at the small table a few feet away.

She looked around one last time before taking a deep breath. Here we go.

She opened the locket.

At first nothing happened, but then, suddenly, the wizard appeared out of the light cast from the sun that came in through the window. It looked almost like a mirage, a trick of the light, but then there he was standing there, real as ever. Shimmering into existence like a twinkling star.

"You've made a decision?" he asks, leaning against their small countertop.

"I have," she replies. "I will take you offer."

"Fantastic-"

"On one condition," she interrupts. Her breath catches in her chest in anticipation.

He raises a brow at her. "Oh?"

"I want my mother to be made immortal as well. She will have an orchard and large greenhouse as well." She nods when she finishes, as if to confirm she meant it.

"Jane-" her mother calls out standing.

"That is quite the ask," he says, interrupting her mother, who stands there in shock.

"That is my condition." Jane crosses her arms resolute.

"Okay," he says. "I've been needing someone to tend to the herbs, anyway."

And just like that, he snaps his fingers and the world around them shifts. In the blink of an eye, their small home is gone, replaced is a large farmhouse. Their belongings moved with them.

"How-"

"This will be your new home," he says, walking up to her mother. "Out that door is your large greenhouse," he says, pointing to a door beside the kitchen. "And there are a few hundred acres of land around this house for you to do as you please."

"I-Thank you," her mother's voice cracks. "Thank you so much."

"Don't thank me yet," he says. "I have an herb garden started in the west corner of the greenhouse. I will need them year round. I expect you to provide me all that I need and more-"

"Easy," her mother replies with confidence. Chest puffed and chin held high. She hadn't seen her mother this excited in years. It made Jane smile.

"Alright," he says. "I also wouldn't mind a pie or two on holidays. I like apple, I love strawberry and I might just kill for some cherry."

"I think I could do that," her mother said with a smile.

"I also have some spirits and magical creature that pass through the area occasionally. They pay well for a bed and a meal and they love to talk."

Her mother's eyes widen in excitement. "I will have to get some rooms ready, then." Her mother loved hearing stories and telling her own.

"And you don't worry about those pesky aches and things anymore."

He turns to Jane then, who is still stood smiling wide at her mother and winks.

She nods, her heart filled with joy.

He walks up to her.

"You will be staying in my workshop while I teach you. It'll be easier that way," he says, offering his hand.

She runs to her mother, giving her one more hug before kissing her cheek. "I will see you soon, mama."

Her mother takes Jane's face in her hands and places her forehead to Jane's. They stay like that for a moment before she turns back to the wizard.

She takes his hand, and the world shifts again, but this time, they stand on an old road leading to a small cottage built into the side of a cliff.

To be continued...

April 7, 2024