The Wizard Starweaver & His Apprentice IX

Jane covers her eyes with her arms and turns away as a sudden flash of sunlight pierces through the canopy of the surrounding trees. It's so intense that if she hadn't've looked away, she feels it could've blinded her. She keeps her eyes covered for a while just to be sure that she is okay to look.

When she does open them again, she is greeted with Abel. His long black hair moving lightly in the wind, changing to an almost while-blond, his eyes a dull blue-grey transforming into a piercing blue as he steps into the sunlight once again. His clothes changed from earlier in the day to something lighter in fabric.

"I see you didn't burn down the forest while I was gone," Abel says, looking around, his lips curving into a small smile. "That's always a good sign."

"I have something to show you," Jane says, excited to show off her hard work.

Jane walks closer to him. She snaps her fingers, transmuting a flame and holding it in her hand. She has to focus really hard to keep it there, but manages a few seconds before it goes out.

"Beautifully done," he says, clapping as he walks up to her. "I'd say this calls for a celebration."

"If that celebration involves a good meal and dance, I would be an absolute fool to refuse," Jane replies excitedly.

"Of course," he says with a smirk. "It also involves some delicious dessert."

"Chocolate!" she remembered.

"I made far too much to store away," he says, offering his arm to her. She takes it and lets him lead her back to the workshop. "I fear we might have to eat most of it tonight."

"That sounds like a nightmare come to life," she jokes with the widest grin. "A true terror of an experience."

He bursts out into a fit of laughter. His head thrown back in exaggerated humor. She watches him, realizing that his canines are longer and more pointed. Not in such a way that looked abnormal for a human, but just enough to where it gave him more of a mischievous look. It suited him.

She smiles, enjoying the moment. He seems to calm down a bit and they continue on their way.

The air was cool as they walked the strange path back to the cottage, going back and forth and around and around until finally, as they round the tree one last time, it was there.

"It is such a cute cottage," she says in awe. It would take her a while to get acquainted with the change of scenery. It was so different from the large orchards that surrounded her mother's small home.

"I built it myself," Abel says with pride. "No magic, just handwork and time."

"You like doing things by hand?" she asks, both surprised and intrigued. He nods. He was nothing like she'd expected. "Why is that?"

"It feels good to work hard on something using my hands," he replies. "Spells and magic can make things too easy. Sometimes it can get repetitive and boring. I like to use both. It also helps me maintain my humanity."

"Humanity?"

"When you've lived as long as I have, your magic gets so interwoven with the surrounding magic that you can feel more like magic itself than human. Doing things by hand, like common folk, helps me remember what it is to be human. It makes me remember what it feels like to be alive. 

It's important that we don't forget that."

She nods. She'd never thought about the effects of being immortal and using magic for so long could have, but it makes sense.

"Is that why your appearance shifts in the light?" she can't help but ask.

"It is. I used my natural elemental magic so much that my very being got so interwoven with it that it changed me in that way."

"What is your true appearance?"

"To be completely honest with you, I don't remember anymore. My mother looked much like me in the shade, while my father resembled more of my lighter side."

"Does that bother you?"

"What?"

"That you don't remember your true appearance?"

"No. I think in a way it's more comforting that anything. I see my parents in me depending on how the light hits me. It's a strange way of thinking, isn't it?"

"Maybe," she agrees, "but I understand what you mean."

She wants to ask more. To find out more about the man, not just the wizard, but stops at the smell of some savory meat.

"That smells fantastic," she says, unable to stop herself. "What is it?"

"Some beef roast," he replies. "I like to add many herbs and spices to it. I hope it is to your liking."

"How could it not be when it smells so divine?"

He smiles at her choice of words.

To be continued...

April 14, 2024