Chapter 38: Madeline

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo, Liberty, Destined, and The King's Lost Queen. You can also read ahead of my new stories Shattered Souls plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 2072

SHE WAS WIDE awake

SHE WAS WIDE awake.

Her eyes were wide open, staring at her plain ceiling.

Every time she squeezed her eyes shut; an image of the news article popped up in her brain. After leaving her soul mate's place, she had run to her mom's house, knowing she would face no questions, and had gone down a loophole on the internet.

Kim Mi-rae. She was gorgeous. Breathing taking even. And talented. But...she was saying Seokjin was her soul mate. She was accusing Madeline of stealing Jin.

She felt like an intruder—which was a crazy notion to even have. She wasn't intruding—she was Jin's actual soul mate.

Why had she been foolish enough to believe things would be easy for her? Her soul mates were extremely famous and popular, nothing about being with them would be easy.

Rustling noises from the lounge caught her attention. She recognized the soft sounds of feet padding along the floor and the small noises. Her mom usually stayed up quite late, watching reality TV alone. She had never watched it with her—she had tried once and it left her feeling awkward and embarrassed.

Forcing those unwanted memories out of her head, Madeline distracted herself by playing white noise. She didn't usually listen to music to get to sleep but in this case, she desperately needed something to fill the unbearable silence.

Her phone pinged. Another message came through. She didn't want to read what it said. She knew it was from her soul mates, pleading with her to answer her phone. She hadn't yet—she wasn't ready to face them yet.

Coward. That was what her inner voice sneered. And she knew it was the truth. She was a coward. Avoiding them instead of talking to them.

She didn't want to know the truth. The truth always hurts. And whatever the truth was, it would undoubtedly hurt her.

A few moments pass and she still can't find an ounce of tiredness within her. Her mind is too alert.

The doorbell rang, causing her heart to pound in her chest.

She jolted out of bed and tip-toed towards her bedroom door. Quietly, she slightly opened it only enough to peek through it.

Her mother shuffled towards the door, her shoulders stiff with agitation. From Madeline's position, she could just about see her mom's back and the front door.

Her mom took the latch off the door and swung it open, "What do you want?" She asked in a placid, bored tone.

Madeline quietly gasped at the sight of Jin, Yoongi, and Hobi. What were they doing here?