XXXVI

The silence was loud, and I mean really fucking loud. A pin would be heard from the next room, and God was the air thick with tension, it wouldn't pierce with a knife even if you tried to. Kevin was in front of me, and Elizabeth wouldn't stop trying to talk to me, Rico silenced her by hitting her in the face with the handle of his gun.

"Shut up, bitch!" Her head whipped to the side in pain, keeping her eyes closed. She needed to know her place and Rico wasn't one to play with. My anger was slowly seeping into the room, they had tried to take everything from me. Kevin looked dead inside, lack of drugs in his system.

I grabbed his hair, roughly pulling his head back to look up at me. "You a pussy ass bitch, keeping yourself hidden all this fuckin time." My first curled and I threw a punch into his face.

The crack of his nose made Lorelei gasp from behind me. "You think it's fine to drug a child?" My right fist landing another punch to his left cheek and again.

"Fuckin speak then." I spat down into his face, throwing another punch. I could keep going, my anger was taking over. Punch after punch was settled against his skin.

"Fuck you! Piece of shit!" My fist was becoming numb after each hit. He was going to learn today not to fuck around with those who I love.

My fist swung down being caught in a fist. "Enough." Rico's eyes hardened, glancing towards Lorelei. She looked scared, afraid of who I was.

"I want them gone. I don't care where, kill 'em for all I give a shit." I muttered, cradling my fist as I walked towards the kitchen to run my hand under water.

I had split my knuckle from the impact with his nose, grunting as the water washed the blood away. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist as I dried my hand, the weight on my back a little heavier than the last. "I love you."

"You can't do this to us!" Elizabeth's voice echoed through to the kitchen, looking over as Rico forced her to stand back up.

"I can and will, who is going to look for you? Your ass is as good as dead, kidnapped a child and her mother, forced drugs into both of their systems. Prison is too easy; you'd be treated like an addict sobering up for the first time. Your life is going to be hell from now on until you overdose or take your own life." A deep chuckle escaped from Rico's mouth as he gripped Elizabeth's hair.

Her eyes met with mine as she tried to beg for help. "Scott, please... I'll do anything." I wasn't having it, ignoring her as I turned back to Lorelei.

I cupped her face into my hands and kissed her deeply, pulling her lower lip between my teeth before I pulled away and looked back at Elizabeth. "Get her the fuck out of here." I muttered.

My hand was starting to cramp as Lorelei dug through the cabinets until she found a box filled with medical supplies, pulling bandages from it then wrapping it tightly around my fist. "I love you." I said back to her.

Rico gagged Elizabeth and Kevin again before dragging them out towards the car. I wanted to go back to bed and sleep the night away, but it was too late for that. I was wide awake and no longer needing the sleep.

"Tomorrow we'll do something as a family." I mumbled, kissing her again.

Lorelei headed back to bed, and I was officially up for the day, texting back and forth between Rico and Ivan. The thing about Ivan, he was still active in his gang, but keeping it on the low. He never brought attention to himself when it came to gang violence. His girl stayed by his side through all the hard shit, and their relationship came out stronger than most.

* * *

It's been two and a half weeks since that night Ricardo had shown up with Kevin and Elizabeth in the back of his car, keeping them at his spare house in the 7th Ward of New Orleans. He paid people off around the area, basically saying they didn't see or hear nothing, it was enough to pay for their silence and the drugs that they took.