Chapter 15 Kim Burgess

I listen from the kitchen as Adam talks to Anthony, he's three months old now and Adam's become a pro at being a dad.

He's just gotten home from work, he seems to be on the upswing his guilt over our relationship seems to have dissipated, we've decided to keep it to ourselves the only one people who know are Al and Trudy, both are very happy for us both and have agreed to keep our secret.

"Hey you"'Adam finally, greets me, "how's Anthony been?"

I kiss his cheek, "wonderful as always, how was your day"

He grabs a beer from the fridge, "you want one?" I decline, "today was a good day, kind of dead but I'm not going to complain"

I finish preparing dinner and set in the oven, "sit down Kim,we need to talk" I must have looked panicked "it's nothing bad, just sit"

He grabs by my hand, "listen I love you more than I've ever loved anyone before, but I think Anthony and I need to get out of your hair" I can't believe he is telling me this.

"Don't be silly Adam, I love having you guys here." I don't think I could handle Anthony not with me, "besides who would keep Anthony while you're working?"

"Darlin', I can get a nanny. I imagine you're running out off furlough time and want to get back to work"

He has no idea that I'm not going back to work, he doesn't know about my trust fund that I have been drawing from for the last two months. "Absolutely not, Adam. Anthony will not be staying with a nanny, not when I can keep him"

Adam looked at me funny "what about work, aren't you going back?"

I dreaded this conversation, "I've already put in my resignation Adam" I can see the wheels turning as he processes it.

"How come you didn't tell me?"

I know I have to tell him, I know he isn't like some of the other guys I've dated but I never enjoy this conversation "Adam, there is something you don't know"

I can see him try to decipher my facial expression "my parents, they're extremely wealthy Adam, like stupid rich" he looks relieved "I've had a trust fund set up for me, but I have refused to use it until two months ago, Adam I don't want you two to move out"

He's stunned, "are you serious, you want to give up your career? Just to take care of my kid?"

His words hurt me, and I don't think he meant he them to sting but they did, I know Anthony isn't my son, but I don't think I could love him any more than I do now. "Adam, I love that little boy with all my heart I know he's not my son, and I would never try to replace his mother" I feel like I'm rambling, "I guess, I'm trying to tell you that I don't think I can handle him not being with me all the time, him living somewhere else"

I wipe the tears that had fallen and Adam comes and kneels in front of me, "don't cry, baby" he wipes my tears "we're kind of a package deal, you know" he gives me lopsided grin.

"Oh, damn" I tease him "and here I was hoping it would just be Anthony and I"

"That hurts Kim"

"Adam, I don't want you to leave either, I love you" I pull him in for a kiss, only for Anthony to decide to wake up.

"He needs to work on his timing" Adam teases.

Adam comes back in Anthony in his arms, "darlin', I think it's time we let people know about us, though I'm pretty sure most people have their suspicions"

I know it's the right thing to do, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to let the world in our little safe haven, and by that I mean my parents.