Chapter 17 Kim Burgess

Adam's putting Anthony down for the night, he's made a complete 180 and I'm so proud of him, watching him with his son is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I'm not looking forward to the conversation Adam and I are about to have, I've never made my mother or father happy. Elizabeth and Daniel Burgess have high standards and I never quite reached their standards. My brothers exceeded them, both Dan Jr and Philip being the perfect children, both entered the family business I wouldn't call what they did working though. It was all a facade, so they could help my parents maintain their perfect family image, I was the one who ruined that image.

My mother took every chance she could to remind me of that, which was precisely the reason I moved three hours away.

"So, Anthony is down for the count" Adam says when he finally joins me in the living room "do you want to talk about your parents?" He gestures for me to lay beside him, as I lay my head on his chest, I feel at peace.

"My parents are your classic country club snobs, no one is ever good enough for me or my older brothers according to my mother"

"Brothers huh?" Adam questions "I had no idea"

"They're older and we've never been close, they are carbon copies of my father" I pause, wishing I had a decent relationship with them, "my mother thought it was the worst thing in the world when I became a police officer, she told me no daughter of her's would be a public servant,that and I quote 'it was below us', she hated it"

I can hear Adam groan "she's sounds like a fabulous woman" his hand is rubbing my back, "Kim, your parents don't scare me. Honestly? I don't need their approval, the only approval I need is yours"

I prop myself up on my elbow so I can look him in the eye, "they won't be open to us, my mother wasn't pleased when I told her that a I was helping you just after the accident, she told me I couldn't save the world" it killed me to know my own mother was such a bitch and had zero compassion for other people.

Adam smiled at me, "see your mother is wrong, because you saved me and you saved my little boy" he pulled me closer and kissed me, once we parted "Kim, I love you no matter what your parents think of me and my son, it won't change anything"

"So, we can just skip the introductions, right?" I'm hoping he will agree.

"I didn't say that" he smiles "I would still like to meet them, they just might surprise us"

I laugh, "don't hold your breath Adam, what do you say we call it a night?" I help him up from the couch and head for the bedroom.