Chapter 22 Adam Ruzek

Mother's Day is just around the corner, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it memorable, I don't know why I'm so nervous. I haven't mentioned this to Kim yet, I've only spoken about it with my dad and Amy both think it's a wonderful idea.

"Mr.Ruzek?" The legal clerk calls my name, and I follow her down the hallway, "here you go sir" she says as she motions for me to sit, "he will be in shortly"

"Thanks" I tell her, as I wait I read all his different diplomas from various universities, from what I've been told he's the best in Chicago. I think this should be pretty straight forward but I can't seem to shake the nerves.

He finally emerges from an inner office, "I'm Ted Bakersfield, it's nice to meet you" he extends his hand, he's got a firm handshake. "What can I do for you Mr. Ruzek?" He's glancing over the paperwork his secretary had me fill out.

I clear my throat, I'm kind of shocked at how nervous I am "I want to know what I need to do to have my girlfriend adopt my son, she's raised him since the day he was born" I fill him in on the back story.

He rummages through a draw and pulls out some papers, "your case will be a walk in the park, since your son's mother is deceased" he glances over my paperwork again "and she has no surviving family members that may contest the adoption, correct?"

"That's correct, her parents died when she was in college, she was an only child" it's really kind of sad.

"Have you brought this up with your girlfriend?" He asks as he puts the paperwork in a folder.

"I haven't, not yet but I know this will be something she wants"

"She will need to fill this out, and you can drop it off with one of the girls upfront and then we will file it with the courts" he explains.

"How long will it take?" I'm anxious to get it done, she's Anthony's mother in my heart and hers and I want it to be official.

"I would think we could get it done in about six months, I will be honest if you're married it won't take as long"

We shake hands and I head out.

As I arrive at the 21st, I can't shake what he said about marriage. I've kicked the idea around in my head before, and honestly I don't know what has held me back from asking her.

"Hey, Adam you with us?" Jay asks, I'm guessing by the stupid look on his face they've been calling my name for a few minutes.

I smile "yea, sorry just thinking about something. What's up?" I ask.

"We are rolling out, suit up" he tells me.

"What's going on?"

"Move kid, we'll talk in the car" Al tells me as he hands me my vest, "now"

We roll up on the scene its a title pawn store, "great legal loan sharks" Al says, it's pretty accurate too, these places screw you over and it seems it's finally caught up with them.

"He's got at least six hostages, including a little kid" the patrol officer explains "from what we have gotten out of him, they repossessed his car" he kicks at loose gravel under his foot "his kid is sick, and he's drowning in debt, it's kind of sad"

I feel for the guy, "yea, but those people he's holding hostage have nothing to do with it" I can't imagine what he must be feeling but this isn't the way to handle it.

The rest of the unit has arrived.

"Get him on the phone!" Voight yells out, "we need to start talking to him"

Al and I go around back to see if we can get a better visual. I notice a door is open the tiniest bit, it's almost as if someone had gone out for a cigarette or something and propped it open so they could get back in.

I lock eyes with Al, "I'm going in" I mouth, I can tell by the look on Al's face he isn't pleased with my decision, but I don't care. There is a little kid inside, my thoughts drift to Anthony and there is no way in hell, you'd keep me out.

As I enter, I accidentally knock over some boxes, so much for going unnoticed. The gunman spins around.

"What the fuck?" He screams, the barrel of his gun pointed at me "how'd you get in?"

I raise my hands in the air, "the back door was cracked open, listen you don't have to do this" I tell him. I scan the faces of the hostages, the kid a little girl she can't be older than six or seven and she's terrified. "Can we let her go?" I ask motioning to the little girl, "you're scaring her"

He looks at me his eyes look empty, "don't come in here telling me what to do!" He jams the gun into my collarbone, I grimace in pain the crack of the bone is audible.

"Alright, I'm sorry" I say through clenched teeth.

"Give me your gun, and your vest!" He screams, "now!"

Shit, I'm beginning to regret this decision, I take my gun out of the holster and place it on the floor and kick it to him, the vest isn't quite so easy. I struggle to lift my arm, "I can't get the vest off, you broke my collarbone"

He puts the gun I just handed over in the waistband of his pants and rips the vest off, the pain is unbearable, I'm pretty much at his mercy now.

"Go sit the fuck down!"

I do as I'm told and hope that I will live to regret this decision.