Chapter 50 Adam Ruzek

It doesn't take me long to realize something is wrong, really fucking wrong.

The front door is wide open, "shit!" The one time I'm not carrying, I can't believe I left my gun behind.

As I approach the porch, I can see broken glass and the flower pots are toppled over, my heart is in my throat.

I walk in the front door, and it's worse inside, the lamps and coffee table both broken and flipped over, Anthony's clothes spilled on the floor.

I check the rest of the house and no sign of Kim, her car still in the garage.

I call Al.

"Olinsky"

I struggle to form a coherent sentence "Al, Kim's gone. Someone broke in and she's gone Al"

"What?" I can tell Al isn't clear on what I just said.

"Get the fuck over here, she's gone" I'm beyond angry now, I know if I'm not angry I will fall apart, and I can't do that. I need to find Kim, and I need to find her now.

The next call I make is to my dad, I need to check on Anthony.

"Hello?" Amy answers.

"I need to speak to my dad" I tell her, I'm sure she can hear the panic in my voice.

"Adam, honey are you okay?"

I can't say it twice "my dad, Amy, please" I can hear the phone change hands and Anthony babbling in the background.

"Son, what's wrong?" He asks, and hearing his voice is all it takes, I can't hold it together any longer.

I try to pull it together, "someone broke in and they took Kim, dad I don't know where she is" I fall to the floor, my thigh protesting the sudden movement, I kick at the table sliding it skidding across the floor "is Anthony okay?"

"He's fine, son, I'm on my way"

"No, dad don't, stay with Anthony please" I need to know my boy is safe "please keep my boy safe, I will call you"

"Ruzek, where are you?" I hear Hank and Al as they come in, I hear other voices too but I don't recognize them.

"I gotta go dad, Al's here"

I meet them in the living room, Al hugs me, I wish he hadn't as I can't keep my emotions in check.

"We're going to find her, kid I promise" Al tells me his hand on my cheek "how long were you gone?"

I try to remember, "two hours, tops. I dropped Anthony off with my dad then I went and picked her engagement ring up" my hand lands on my pocket that contains the ring, "I was gonna ask her tonight, Al"

Hank is talking to a couple of patrolman, Sean Roman is with them.

"Adam, we will find her" Sean tells me, they're good friends.

"Ruzek, does Kim have anyone who would want to hurt her?" Hank questions me.

I can't think of anyone at all "Sarge, you know Kim she's harmless. Why would someone want to hurt her?"

He nods "what about you, I know you've been out of work, can you think of anyone?"

"No, nothing" I will die if this is because of me, I won't be able to forgive myself.

I can see Hank and Al whispering about something, "what is it, please just tell me"

Al is at my side "sit down Adam" he points to the couch, "tell me about Kim's parents, Hank says they're affluent"

"Son of a bitch" I say "Al, affluent doesn't even begin to explain them, they're fucking loaded. Fortune 500 loaded, their house is a fucking mansion" this has to be it, it has to involve money "we need to bring them in, they may know something"

I can hear Hank ask for them to be brought in for questioning, "she's got two brothers Daniel and Phil, she's doesn't talk to them much"

I start pacing, I'm getting aggravated at the lack of progress. The forensics team is still going over the house, no one has said it but they don't expect to find any evidence. This was a professional job for sure.

"I need to start looking for her,I can't stay in this house any longer I need to find her"

"No, Adam why don't you go to your dad's house, let us deal with this" Al suggests.

"No fucking way Al, no fucking way!"

Hank hangs up, "you need to go to your dad's kid, go get be with your son" he makes eye contact with Al.

I know he has found something out and I won't leave until they tell me "what is it, I will go to my dad's, but you need to keep me in the loop, don't keep shit from me, please"

Hank sighs, "Kim's parents boarded a plane for Aruba earlier today, and both brothers have fled the country, Adam, their company is in bed with Enzo Scampanelli"

I feel like I've been kicked in the balls "he's got Kim, doesn't he?" I don't even bother with trying not to cry.

"I'm will bring her home to you and your son, you have my word" Hank says, "let us drive you to your dad's"

I don't even fight it.

As soon as we pull up I'm out of the car in a flash, I need my boy.

Amy's holding him and it's obvious she's been crying she hands Anthony to me, her hand is on my back.

"We're going to find your mommy, Anthony, I promise your mommy will come home to us"