Chapter 43 Jay Halstead

Everywhere I look I see her face staring back at me, I feel like all the progress I made since getting out of the Army has been flushed down the toilet.

The minute I saw Adam fall to the ground was the minute that girl came back to haunt me. She was 9 years old her name Amira, we had seen her several times leading up to the day I killed her.

She was always carrying this purple yo-yo, I'm pretty sure another soldier had given it to her she loved that thing. She was fascinated by it and she was getting pretty good at it, I can remember her laughing when Nelson showed her a few tricks with it.

I motion to the bartender he's become my only friend, I've stopped going to Molly's I'm pretty sure they call Erin or Al every time I show up.

"Can I get another one?" I point to the shot glass in front of me, it doesn't matter what they fill it with as long as it chases the memories from my head.

He fills it and I down it, it's on a constant loop.

I haven't spoken to Adam since that day at the hospital, I don't blame him for being angry with me. Erin swears he isn't angry with me, but how could he not be?

I hear the door close behind me and I know I've been found.

"Halstead!"

Shit, I turn around on the stool, grabbing on to the bar to steady myself as the whole bar seems to spin, "yea?"

"It's time to go"

I don't have the energy to fight, I pay the tab and head out the door.