Chapter 24 Adam Ruzek

I watch as he paces, he's carrying an AR-15, and he's got my handgun, he's also wearing my vest. I know he has more rounds on the desk along with a couple of handguns, he came prepared.

I see six people that I assume are customers, most look like they are pushing fifty years old, except for the little girl and a woman who is obviously her mother. There's one person, who based on his attire is the manager he's tied up and he has been beaten.

"Hey, I'm Adam, what's your name?" I need to get him to stop moving and to calm down, "let me help you man"

He laughs at me, "shut up, I'm not telling you my name and I don't give a fuck, what your name is" he looks out the window "no one can help me"

"How do you know I can't help you?" I've got to to get him talking to me, it's my best option if I'm getting every one out of here.

He gets down in my face, a vein in his neck is bulging as he speaks through his teeth, "shut your fucking mouth, Adam!" I see stars as he hits me with the butt of my own handgun "next time it won't be the butt that hits you"

My ears are ringing, I can hear the little girl begin to cry, "hey, hey, honey it's okay, I'm okay" I tell her, though I can feel the blood running down my face.

He's at the window again, the phone ringing for what seems like forever, "you should answer that" I tell him.

"You don't take direction, very well do you?" He picks the phone up and slams it down, "I'm not talking to them."

I realize, I need to get everyone out he's not going to talk to Hank "you got a kid, right?" he stops on a dime, "I do too, a little boy he's 7 months old, his name's Anthony"

"Don't" he hops up on the counter "I know what you are trying to do, and it's not gonna work"

"Listen, if you let her go" I point to the little girl and her mom, "my boss will work with you, but you gotta give them something" I can see he's mulling it over.

He starts to laugh, "you know what?" He jumps down, and kneels in front of me, waving the gun around "how bet I let everyone go, your ass is more valuable anyway"

"Fine, do it" I tell him, less collateral damage when Hank and company storm in.

He yanks me up, thankfully not touching my broken collarbone, he puts the gun to my head "open the fucking door"

I turn the lock and he yanks the door open with his free hand "I'm sending the hostages out, but I'm keeping him"

I can see their expressions drop, the hostages run out, the mother of the little girl turns to me "thank you!" she says tears in her eyes.

He slammed me to the ground once he had the door shut an locked again, my head and right arm screaming in pain, I'm beginning to get antsy. "What do you think is going to come of this, this isn't gonna help your kid you know" my anger is building.

"You don't know shit about what will help my kid" he screams, "this place took my car, I have no way of getting to work, my wife is pissed at me, and I'm sure I will be shit canned from my job" panic was starting to show up in his voice.

"You let me walk you out of here and I'm sure we can work something out" I tell him, though I'm certain my words are falling on deaf ears, my thoughts start drifting to Kim and Anthony. I know I can't let my mind wander and try to re-focus on the task at hand which is getting out of here alive.

We sit in silence for a long time, I'm growing tired the pain in my head and collarbone and shoulder starting to become more than I can handle. I'm fighting sleep at this point I know falling asleep would be a massive mistake.

The sun has set and I'm guessing it's been three or four hours now, for life of me I can't figure out what's taking them so long.

I stand up and it's then I feel it slice through my leg and I fall to the ground, gunfire erupting around me. The last thing that flashes through my mind is a vision of Kim holding Anthony in her arms.