Chapter 18 Adam Ruzek

"Try not to stress, nothing is going to change the way I feel about you" I told Kim as we drove towards her parents home, "I feel like I'm driving Miss Daisy with you in the back seat with Anthony you know"

She offers me a small smile, I know she is sitting with Anthony in hopes of calming her nerves, we pull up to the gated community, a guard steps out of the booth.

"Who are you here to see sir?" he asks a clipboard in hand.

"Daniel and Elizabeth Burgess"

"Your driver's license sir"

I hand him my license, it's almost ridiculous "anything else, my DNA?" I joke with him, and receive a blank stare in response.

He writes something on the clipboard and hands me back my license "thank you Mr. Ruzek" and opens the gates. I glance back at Kim and she's as white as a sheet.

"Darlin', it's not going to be that bad" I reach back and she grabs my hand.

"Please, no matter what my parents say, know I'm not like them"

"Turn left here, it's the last house on the right, you can't miss it" she tells me and she's right the house is massive.

"You grew up in that?" I ask "how many times did you end up getting lost" I laugh, I can tell she is really nervous. I park the car and get Anthony out of his seat, "hey, it's going to be fine"

She takes Anthony from me and heads up the pathway, I can't help but marvel at the house it's got to be ten thousand square feet, the landscape looks like something out of a magazine, they have at least six cars parked in the circular driveway. "Kim, how come you never said anything about this?"

"You learn real quick that most people are after your money when they know your parents are wealthy" she rings the bell, I expect a butler to answer,only to see who I think is Elizabeth answer the door.

"Kimmy" she greets her, her voice sounding distant and almost cold, "you must be Adam" she offers her hand for me to shake, which I do.

"Nice to meet you" I tell her, but she's already headed towards the other room, which I'm guessing is a living room, the floor is marble and it doesn't look anything like a home but more like a museum. I imagine it must have sucked to grow up in this environment.

"I need to change Anthony, Mother, which bathroom should I use?" Kim asks, her mother directs her down the hall.

I feel out of place, "so Adam, what do you do?" I can tell she is forcing herself to speak to me.

"I'm a police officer" I swear she looks disgusted.

"Your intentions for my daughter, what are they?" She doesn't waste any time.

"Elizabeth, I love your daughter with everything I have, I hope to spend the rest of my life with her" it was true every word of it but I don't think it was enough.

"Just so you know, I will only include biological grandchildren in my will so get that thought out of your head" she snaps.

I'm in shock, I'm trying to find the words to answer her, when I hear Kim answer for me.

"Screw you mother, and your money" Kim glares at her, "Adam, let's go I knew this was a mistake"

I laugh as Kim throws the dirty diaper at her mother on her way out.