The past haunts.

My entire body chilled. The voice that spoke almost completely sounded like someone who I didn't recognize. Someone I didn't want to recognize. Because at that moment, the only place my mind went, was the messages.

That one word.

Spook.

Was enough to send my body into a complete paralyzed state.

I took the deepest of breaths, as deep as my lungs would allow. And slowly turned around.

"Theo?" My voice shook.

"Merlin, why are you so on edge?" His eye brows rose.

I couldn't fucking breathe.

"Wh-why-what?" I mumbled.

"Are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost." He let out a small laugh.

"Theo. Why did you say that?" I gathered my self to say.

"Say what?" He backed up, "I've come to talk to you and get passed this but if it's not what you want?"

"Spook. You never say spook. Why did you say that?" tears pooled my eyes.

"Because I spooked you? What the fuck do you want me to say?" He was looking at me like I was insane, "pull out a thesaurus, go on."

I was frozen.

Frozen in time.

Frozen in my thoughts.

It was a word.

I was stuck up on one word.

But somehow the word felt so much heavier.

Felt scary.

Felt like it was a clue, or a sign.

No way. It's not Theo.

He spooked me, and that's why he said it.

That's all.

"I'm sorry." I muttered, throwing my hands over my face, "I'm just still on edge with these messages."

"Stop it." He mumbled, pulling me into a hug. I rested my head on his chest and it felt... different. Like I felt the distance in it. He was so far from me. I don't know if I'd get him back.

He finally let me go and looked down into my eyes, "I want to talk. We don't have to now, but soon. About everything. You're my best friend and I was just hurt. I want to work it out."

My breath was still caught in my throat.

I should be released he's talking to me. I know I should.

But...

No.

Stop.

"I think after NEWTS, would be best." I let out a breath, "there's just so much I want to tell you. I want all the time to do it, and right now, the exam needs my attention."

"I agree. Little book worm." He said with a wink, "we'll talk soon, yeah?"

"Yeah." I whispered with a smile.

I had Theo back. Or at least I hoped I did. Something felt off, and I think I'm going to feel that way about a lot of people in my mind, at least until I get this whole thing situated.

I took off in the direction of class. My head was now foggy, but I needed to get it right for exams. I needed to pass.

I pulled my phone out at the feeling of the vibration from my pocket.