Chapter 4

Emily’s POV

With the words rolling out of my mouth, Layla looked at me as if I had gone mad.

“You can’t be serious?” she let out, and I smirked.

“I am dead serious. I am coming with you,” I said, and she still looked dumbfounded.

Layla stared at me, speechless, and I allowed her a moment to process my words because there was no way I was taking it back now.

“Are you sure about this? This is a whole new city, Emily. You won’t know anyone there,” Layla asked, her concern evident.

“I am very sure. I can’t be alone in this city without you, and I’ll have you and Danny over there,” I assured her, determined to get her to agree.

“What about your mother? Are you going to leave her here?” she inquired.

“My mother is better off without me. I’m jobless, and I can’t take care of her. Maybe I can get a job over there, like you did, and send money back to her. That’s how I can be useful. So, allow me to come with you, please. I need a fresh start, far away from Ethan and the consequences of ever loving him,” I explained, pouring my heart out.

“That... that actually makes sense. I guess you can come,” Layla finally relented, and I pulled her into a tight hug.

“You won’t regret it. I’ll get a job and leave you and Danny to play house like you want to, okay?” I promised, feeling grateful.

“If you say so. And thinking about it, it wouldn’t be bad having you with me,” Layla admitted, and I squealed with excitement.

“You know what? We should celebrate this. We’re both moving and getting a fresh start,” I suggested, rushing to the kitchen and returning with a bottle of wine and two glasses.

“Oh, you brought the special bottle,” Layla remarked softly.

“It’s a special occasion,” I whispered, pouring her a glass.

“A toast to a new fresh start. I know it’s going to be wonderful,” I declared, raising my glass.

“I’m sure it will be wonderful,” Layla replied with a smile as we clinked glasses.

---

The days flew by, and soon it was time to leave. I was filled with excitement and a hint of nervousness. Leaving the city was a huge step for me, but I knew it was the right thing to do. I deserved a fresh start.

“Are you ready? We need to leave right now before we miss our flight. Danny is already waiting in the car,” Layla announced, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Give me a few minutes,” I requested, quickly packing the remaining items I still had unpacked.

“Come on, Emily, we’re late. I don’t want us to miss our flight,” Layla urged a sense of urgency in her voice.

“I’m done,” I announced, joining her in the living room.

Layla shook her head, urging me to leave the room before she did, so I wouldn't delay her any further.

We hurried out of the house and made our way to the airport.

“Final boarding call to Belleza,” the announcer's voice echoed through the airport as we arrived.

“We’re about to miss our flight,” Layla fretted.

“Not if we run. Let’s go before our gate closes,” I said, breaking into a run.

Layla and Danny followed suit, and we managed to reach the gate just in time before it closed. We boarded the plane, and as it took off, I closed my eyes, feeling a mix of excitement and anticipation for the fresh start ahead.

---

“Emily, wake up,” Layla’s voice brought me back to reality, and I slowly opened my eyes to see her smiling at me.

“You were knocked out. I wish I could sleep on planes like you,” she joked, and I chuckled.

“You slept for a long time, and we’re here now. Let’s go,” she said, prompting me to get up.

“Are you sure? How long was I asleep?” I asked, feeling disoriented.

“You slept for a long time, and we’re here. So let’s go,” Layla repeated, her excitement palpable.

We got off the plane, and the fresh breeze of the new city filled me with anticipation. We made our way to the car, and as we drove through the city, I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by the possibilities ahead.

“We’re here,” Danny announced as he pulled up in front of a building.

“This is it, Emily. Our apartment building,” Layla said, excitement evident in her voice.

I wanted to help with the bags, but Layla insisted on showing me the apartment first. As she opened the door, I was greeted with a sight that took my breath away.

“This is way better than our apartment back home,” I exclaimed, feeling a surge of gratitude.

“I know, right? That’s why I wanted it to be a surprise. I knew you would like it,” Layla said, her smile infectious.

“It’s amazing, Layla. Thank you,” I said, feeling overwhelmed with emotion.

“There’s no need to thank me. I’m glad I got to do this with you,” she replied, pulling me into a warm hug.

“Welcome to your fresh start, my friend,” Layla whispered, and I felt a sense of hope and excitement for the journey ahead.