Chapter 52

Emily's POV

I slowly open my eyes, greeted by the soft morning light filtering through the curtains, casting a gentle glow across the room. My heart feels heavy in my chest as the memories of last night flood back, each one more painful than the last.

I lie there for a moment, the weight of the morning light pressing down on me like a physical burden. It feels like I'm drowning, suffocated by the blanket of dread that settles over me, wrapping me in its icy embrace. The memories of last night play out in my mind like a cruel film reel, each scene more agonizing than the last, reminding me of Marco's betrayal.

How could he do this to me? The question reverberates through my mind, but there are no answers, only the crushing weight of disappointment and hurt. I trusted him and believed that our love was true, and now I'm left with nothing but the bitter taste of betrayal on my tongue.

Why does the universe seem so cruel? Does it not deem me worthy of love? Every time I dare to open my heart, to give love a chance, all I receive in return is pain and betrayal. It's as though the universe conspires against me, mocking my attempts at happiness.

And now, this latest betrayal feels like the final blow, the ultimate confirmation that love is not meant for me. Not only am I left with a heart shattered into a million irreparable pieces, but I've also unwittingly put my best friend in danger.

I want to scream, to rage against the unfairness of it all, but I'm paralyzed by the pain coursing through me. It's a familiar ache, this feeling of heartbreak, but this time it hits differently. This time, I allowed myself to believe that this was, my final chance at love.

With a trembling hand, I reach for the covers, pulling them tightly around me as if they could shield me from the rawness of my emotions. But there's no escaping the truth—not today, not ever. All I can do is lie here, lost in a sea of despair, and try to find the strength to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart.

I want to curl up into a ball and disappear, to escape from the pain threatening to consume me whole. But I force myself to sit up, pushing past the waves of nausea and despair.

As I swing my legs over the edge of the bed, I notice that I'm only in my underwear, and a wave of dread washes over me. Quickly, I pull the covers over my chest, feeling exposed and vulnerable.

A torrent of thoughts races through my mind, each one more terrifying than the last. When my gaze falls upon my dress, neatly placed on the chair beside my bed, my breath catches in my throat.

"No... It can't be," I whisper to myself, the realization sinking in. "Jason couldn't have undressed me." The thought made me nervous as if the ground had fallen out from beneath me.

I sit there for a moment, frozen, my breath catching in my throat as my eyes land on a new bouquet of roses at the end of the room. The vibrant blooms stand out against the muted tones of the room, a stark contrast to the turmoil raging within me.

I stand up and walk toward the roses, my heart skipping a beat as I reach out tentatively to touch the delicate petals, my fingers trembling with uncertainty. Who could have left these here? And why?

But then, unbidden, my mind drifts to Jason, even though I know it's not a possibility. "But he got you one yesterday," the voices in my head remind me, and I glance over at the bouquet of roses Jason had sent me just the day before.

"It was just a one-time thing, to make me go to dinner with him," I argue with the invading voices in my head. "He was just being polite. He would never send me roses again."

But my eyes fall on a note, nestled among the delicate petals of the roses. Nervously, I slowly unfurl the paper, my heart pounding in my chest, and read his words: