Chapter 23

Emily's POV

Marco's words wrapped around me like a suffocating embrace, igniting a storm of emotions within. The prospect of infiltrating a dangerous and unknown location felt like tiptoeing on the edge of a cliff. Yet, Marco's desperate plea for help and protection for his family propelled me forward.

"Say something to me, my love," Marco implored, his voice laden with urgency and need.

Fear clawed at my insides, threatening to overwhelm me. But the thought of our shared future, of the family we hoped to build together, steeled my resolve.

"I'm scared, but I'll do it," I declared, my voice trembling with determination. "For us, for our future."

His gratitude washed over me like a soothing balm, promising a future untainted by the shadows of the past.

"Thank you for this, my darling. Once we're free from the clutches of the Russo family, we'll celebrate our love like never before," Marco vowed, sealing his promise with a tender kiss that spoke volumes of our shared determination.

Behind the façade of a soft smile, turmoil churned within me. However, I pushed it aside, focusing on the task ahead.

"So, when do we begin?" I asked, my voice steady despite the doubts that gnawed at my resolve.

"In three days," Marco replied, his tone unwavering and resolute, igniting a flicker of determination within me that burned brighter than ever before.

"Then that means I won't be able to see or speak to you the entire time I'm there," I whispered, and he let out a soft chuckle.

"Of course, you'll see me. I won't abandon you to face this alone. This is about our future, and I'll be by your side every step of the way," Marco reassured me, his voice a steady anchor in the storm of uncertainty.

I nodded, but as I stepped back, a heavy breath escaped my lips.

"I have to go. Layla needs to know what's happening," I declared, but Marco's expression darkened.

"No one can know about this, love. Our plans will be ruined," he insisted, his tone commanding.

"Layla's my best friend, my only family in this city. She deserves to know I'll be gone," I argued, but before I could protest further, a sharp bang shattered the air, punctuating Marco's warning.

"What part of 'no one can know' don't you understand?" His voice crackled with authority, his eyes ablaze with a mixture of anger and command.

His sudden outburst caught me off guard, leaving me bewildered as I searched his eyes for answers.

Before I could make sense of it all, Marco closed the distance between us, enveloping me in his arms. "I'm sorry, love. I'm just... on edge," he confessed, his voice laced with remorse. "I didn't mean to speak to you like that. Please, forgive me."

I nodded silently, finding solace in his embrace as I held onto him tightly.

"Layla is my friend," I whispered, the words a plea for understanding. "I have to tell her."

Though Marco's grip tightened around me, his expression remained stoic, a silent warning echoing in the depths of his gaze.

"I understand your concern for Layla, but this is too delicate," Marco whispered urgently, his tone pleading for my cooperation. "It has to remain between us for it to work. Even my family doesn't know."

I fell into a heavy silence, grappling with the weight of his words. The thought of keeping such a monumental secret from Layla gnawed at my conscience, threatening to unravel the bonds of our friendship.

"What will I tell her?" I finally spoke, my voice tinged with uncertainty. "She'll be worried if I just disappear."

"We'll figure something out," Marco assured, his voice softening with a hint of relief. "Wait, you can just tell her that you got a new job as a nanny for the Russo family. You don't have to go into details."

His suggestion hung in the air, a lifeline amidst the tumult of uncertainty. A sense of clarity washed over me as I considered the simplicity of his plan.

"Okay, I think that will work," I acknowledged even though I hated lying to Layla, "It will keep her mind at ease."

"Thank you for doing this," Marco whispered, his voice laced with emotion, "and for showing that our love is strong. I know we will have our happy ending soon enough when the devil hunting us is gone."

Marco gently guided me back to bed, his arms enveloping me in a comforting embrace. With his steady presence by my side, the worries that had plagued my mind began to dissipate, replaced by a sense of calm and security.

As he held me close to his chest, I felt the rhythm of his heartbeat echoing in sync with my own. The warmth of his touch and the softness of his whispers lulled me into a peaceful slumber, wrapping me in a cocoon of tranquillity.

In the sanctuary of his embrace, I surrendered to the embrace of sleep, knowing that no matter what challenges lay ahead, I would face them with Marco by my side.

-----

( 2 days later)

Marco dropped me off at my apartment, leaving me alone to prepare for the daunting task awaiting me tomorrow. Despite my outward agreement, every fibre of my being screamed that this was a mistake.

"Look who the cat finally dragged in! So, you finally decided to return home. Tell me, who was the engagement moon?" Layla exclaimed, her smile radiant as she pulled me onto the couch.

"Engagement moon? What's that?" I asked, puzzled by the term. Layla rolled her eyes as if she expected me to be familiar with a word she had just conjured up.

"You know, the romantic getaway couples go on after getting engaged," Layla explained, her tone tinged with amusement.

"That doesn't exist, Layla. I'm pretty sure you just made up that word," I said, laughing.

″Whatever,″ she rolled her eyes, playfully frustrated by my doubt.

"Okay, well, I guess it exists now because you just said it," I replied with a grin, amused by Layla's enthusiasm. She tugged at my hand, eager to get a better look at the ring.

"So, tell me everything. I want to know all that happened," Layla exclaimed eagerly, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

With a smile, I began recounting the details of my proposal and meeting Marco's family, carefully omitting the more complicated aspects of our situation. Layla listened with rapt attention, her excitement palpable as she hung onto every word.