Chapter 44

Jason's POV

When Emily stormed out, her determination palpable, I grabbed my phone and dialled Lucas.

"Jason," he answered promptly.

"Lucas, tomorrow night, the club. Urgent," I declared, urgency lacing my tone. Before he could pry, I ended the call.

____

Morning arrived swiftly, and I immersed myself in work, moving from one meeting to the next. By the evening, heading to the club seemed like the perfect way to unwind.

"Welcome, Don," I was greeted with a nod as I settled into my usual booth.

"How's business tonight?" I leaned in, eager for Seth's assessment.

"Better than expected, despite the setback with the stolen shipment. It's as if it never happened," Seth's tone held a hint of triumph, and I couldn't help but smirk, knowing the effort it took to reclaim our goods from the Marinos.

"And Lucas, why's he MIA?" I pressed, my curiosity piqued.

"He's tied up with some urgent business. He'll be back soon," Seth assured me, and with a nod, I signalled for my usual drink, anticipation coursing through me as I awaited Lucas's return.

An hour passed, and I spotted Lucas making his way toward me.

"Finally, took you long enough," I remarked as he approached.

"Sorry I'm late," Lucas apologized, settling in and pouring himself a drink.

"What's so urgent, dear friend?" he inquired, taking a hefty gulp from his glass.

"Emily," I replied, and Lucas chuckled.

"I had a feeling, but I was hoping I was wrong. Guess not. So, what did the nanny do this time?" he asked, his tone laced with amusement.

"I need you to ensure she doesn't get the three hundred grand she needs to leave the house," I stated firmly, and Lucas looked at me, clearly perplexed.

"Whoa, hold up. Backtrack a bit. Why should I stop the nanny from getting three hundred grand, and why does she need that kind of money?" Lucas inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"Emily wants to leave," I confessed, the weight of her decision heavy in my chest, prompting me to finish my drink in a single gulp.

"Then why is that a problem?" Lucas prodded, his confusion evident.

"I can't let her go," I admitted, struggling to contain the turmoil inside me.

"Why not, Jason? If you're not planning to make her pay for what she's done, why not just let her go?" Lucas challenged, his voice laced with frustration and concern.

"Because there are fates worse than death, Lucas. I won't release her until she's faced every consequence," I declared firmly, though Lucas didn't share my conviction.

"Sometimes, I don't understand you, Jason. But tell me, why do I need to stop her from getting three hundred grand?" Lucas inquired, his brow furrowed with confusion.

"I fabricated a contract that doesn't exist just to keep her here. I told her she needs to pay three hundred grand if she wants her resignation accepted," I confessed, the weight of my deception heavy in my words.

"So, you want me to prevent her from getting it," Lucas exclaimed, sarcasm evident in his tone, and I nodded in confirmation.

"Damn it, Jason, listen to yourself! She doesn't have that kind of money, why don't you just let her go," Lucas cursed, his frustration palpable.

"You didn't see what I saw in her eyes. I've never seen her like that before—she was determined to leave, and I can't let that happen. She still has a lot to pay for," I declared, my voice weighted with resolve. Yet, despite my conviction, Lucas shook his head in disbelief, the weight of the situation settling heavily between us.

"Are you asking me this as my boss or as a friend?" Lucas questioned, his tone uncertain.

"As a friend, of course. You're the only one I can trust with this," I replied, hoping to appeal to our bond.

"Then I'm sorry, I have to refuse because this girl is making you paranoid. I don't know what you're up to, but I can't help you," Lucas declared, his voice tinged with regret, his eyes reflecting the weight of his decision.

"What are you saying? I need you on this," I implored, the urgency in my tone betraying the depth of my desperation, realizing that without Lucas's support, my plans might crumble.

"If you want her to stay so badly. How about you be nicer to her? No girl would want to stay if she's not treated right," Lucas suggested, his tone firm yet empathetic. With that, he stood up and left, leaving me to ponder his words.

"Damn it," I cursed under my breath as I rose from my seat and exited the club.

Stepping into the night air, I made a spontaneous decision to take a drive, hoping to untangle the mess of thoughts swirling in my head. Lost in my thoughts, I found myself driving aimlessly until I arrived at the gates of the cemetery.

I stepped out of the car and made my way to my late wife's grave.

My heart clenched painfully in my chest as I sat there, struggling to hold back the tears.

It had been a while since I last visited. I had stopped coming, though I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason why. Perhaps I was trying to escape the guilt that weighed heavily on me—the guilt of not being able to save her, of not being there when she needed me the most.

"Hi my love, I'm sorry, I didn't bring flowers," I whispered, feeling a pang of guilt for not offering even this small token of remembrance.

"I failed you, Amara, and I'm sorry," I whispered, unable to contain the tears that streamed down my face.

"There's a replica of you at home. She looks just like you, but she's everything you're not. She's troubled, Amara, and it pains me that she reminds me so much of you. She's working with my enemy, and I know I should rid myself of her, but I just can't."

"Help me, Amara. Help me shake this feeling I have for her," I pleaded, my voice choked with emotion.

I lay beside Amara's grave, seeking solace in her presence, and eventually drifted off into sleep.

Morning arrived sooner than expected, and I was abruptly awakened by Lucas, his expression filled with concern.

Without uttering a single word, he silently guided me to his car, and we sped off. The journey back home passed in a blur, the weight of our unspoken conversation hanging heavy in the air.

"I'll arrange for someone to pick up your car," Lucas announced as we pulled into the driveway.

"How did you find me?" I asked, surprised by his sudden appearance at the cemetery.

"I came to your house, and Anna mentioned you hadn't returned last night. I knew you were not spending a night with a girl, so I tracked your phone. It led me to the cemetery," Lucas explained, his tone tinged with concern as we walked into the house.

"I'm sorry for being harsh yesterday. I'll do anything you ask. I'll even stop Emily from getting the money," he vowed, his words carrying a solemn resolve.

"There won't be a need for that. I've had a change of heart," I declared, and Lucas's confusion turned to intrigue.

"Alright, that's good," he responded, a hint of intrigue in his tone.

"But I need you to do something for me," I began slowly, locking eyes with him, my voice carrying an urgency. "Buy me the most expensive white roses you can find."

"White roses... why?" Lucas asked, clearly perplexed.

"I'm just trying to take your advice," I replied cryptically, then turned and walked away, leaving Lucas to ponder my mysterious request.